Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Great...Just Great

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 81 Replies

Our food stamps went from $726 a month to $512 a month for five people.Food is so expensive but I do not like to shop at Aldi because their produce isn't the best and they have barely any brand names to choose from. I don't see the point in buying food that no one will eat. Dh eats like a horse and our three kids are pretty good eaters too. I would like to get some tips and/or meals ideas from you to help me out. I will say that I refuse to feed my family ramen noodles so that's out of the question.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2012 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MWV85
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

i can feed my family of 5 for under $500 a month.

not sure what youre buying, so heres a bump for you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM
6 moms liked this
You're joking right? That's spending $100 a week on food for 5. Very doable. Be thankful for what you do get.
kris0921
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Coupon! Best thing you can do!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
msjoecool
by Crissy on Dec. 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM
I love Aldi. I had no idea it accepted food stamps.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
vrbtnseele
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM
7 moms liked this
Stop buying brand names, beggers cant be choosers! My mom spends about $550 a month on a family of 7!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethbeth
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't imagine needing MORE than $500 a month. That is a lot of money.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Skip brand name stuff. Most of the time off brand tastes the same. I mean canned veggies are canned veggies right? Shop aldi for whatever you can, buy produce somewhere else. Pretty easy really.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2012 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I feed my family of 4 with $200-$300 a month. Stop buying brand names and use coupons
zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on Dec. 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM

we eat a vegan-soy free-gluten free diet, and spend $550 month. unless your diet is that specific i would think that would be enough?

also i have found name brand items at dollar tree-ragu sauce, teddy grahams,etc. you could try  there?

RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Coupon. And try Aldi's again. I love the Aldi's here, and their produce is always fresh and super cheap. Buy in bulk. Don't buy boxed meals. Cooking from scratch in bulk and freezing leftovers will save you time and money. Quit eating meat - it's cheaper to be a vegetarian. Or have 1-2 meatless meals a week. Stop buying crap food and lots of snacks. Make a meal plan and only buy what you need to make your meals, as well as extra veggies, fruit, yogurt, nuts, etc for healthy snacks. I could easily feed five people for less than $500/month.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured