Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do to curb out of control entitlements in this country?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Now, I know that there are people who really need a hand up, but what about all those wanting handouts with no plan or desire to get off the public dole? How would you as a politician handle the out of control entitlement spending?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
SweetandSassy12
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Yes it would be unpaid ...hud already requires 8 hours of community service a month for those that are unemployed ...

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm intrigued. Would this be an unpaid job in exchange for benefits? Ideally, they should be paid from a private sector job, pay taxes, and not take from the government. This would increase revenue and decrease spending. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Community service as a job forty plus hours a week if u have NO INCOME WHAT SO EVER

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:47 PM

And how about not paying someone 8 grand back in their tax return when they only paid 2 grand in taxes! You shouldn't get back more in taxes than you pay in!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:47 PM
A one size fits all approach with unemployment in a country as large as ours is just as big of a mistake as extending it nationwide like they have been. Leave this up to the states.

I don't think if you split bills with a roommate that their income should count as part of your own. Why should their income count towards benefits for yourself and/or family when they're not buying your groceries or paying your portion of the bills?

My daughter has attended school in two different states, neither offered free breakfast and neither does my ss's school in a third state. You only qualify for free breakfast if you qualify for free lunch and your child has to be dropped 30 minutes early in order to get it.

I'm fine with having a photo of the beneficiary on the card. However that may cause problems for the elderly and disabled who have authorized users purchase groceries for them with their food stamps.

I think the length of time benefits should be available should be left to the states.

In some states if you get a job that doesn't pay as much as your unemployment you will get the difference from unemployment. Benefits shouldn't be cut to the point that people cannot survive.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd start by limiting unemployment to 6 months. The longer someone is out of work, the less likely they want to go back. 

Also, take in consideration the total household income, including non married couples, when determining benefits. 

do away with the free breakfast for everyone at school. Only the needy should get this. I don't understand why they give my son a free meal when I feed him at home before school. 

Make it harder to sell your food stamp benefits to others. Maybe have a picture of the beneficiary on the card or something?

make benefits limited to only a certain number of years unless the recipient is disabled. This forces people to have a plan to better themselves and to get it done. 

Dont make public assistance more desirable than getting a job. I've heard people say that they don't want to get a job because they'd lose this or that benefit which is better than what the job would pay. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd start by limiting unemployment to 6 months. The longer someone is out of work, the less likely they want to go back. 

Also, take in consideration the total household income, including non married couples, when determining benefits. Most states do count everyone in the household

do away with the free breakfast for everyone at school. Only the needy should get this. I don't understand why they give my son a free meal when I feed him at home before school. This is your school district doing this not the country.

Make it harder to sell your food stamp benefits to others. Maybe have a picture of the beneficiary on the card or something?

make benefits limited to only a certain number of years unless the recipient is disabled. This forces people to have a plan to better themselves and to get it done. There is a limit to the amount of money you can recive from PA.

Dont make public assistance more desirable than getting a job. I've heard people say that they don't want to get a job because they'd lose this or that benefit which is better than what the job would pay. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I believe public assistance should return to it's original basis. Only the elderly, the disabled, and in cases of emergency situations which would be for instance after a natural disaster for a limited set amount of time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I guess if there were no jobs to be had, then this could help others as a service and develop a work ethic as well as keep people busy and off the streets. 

Quoting SweetandSassy12:

Yes it would be unpaid ...hud already requires 8 hours of community service a month for those that are unemployed ...

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm intrigued. Would this be an unpaid job in exchange for benefits? Ideally, they should be paid from a private sector job, pay taxes, and not take from the government. This would increase revenue and decrease spending. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Community service as a job forty plus hours a week if u have NO INCOME WHAT SO EVER

SweetandSassy12
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM
I agree I also belive that it would help build a ressume in order to gain empolyment ...employers love to see you give back to the community and self determination

Quoting finnbar:

You know, thats a really good idea. Its a lot like the programs people had back during the great depression. And the parks and whatnot built by those government assisted people are still awesome to this day!

I think a huge issue for people living on assistance is they don't have anything to take pride in. We all need to feel like we and what we accomplish matter.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Also, take in consideration the total household income, including non married couples, when determining benefits. 

do away with the free breakfast for everyone at school. Only the needy should get this. I don't understand why they give my son a free meal when I feed him at home before school. 

make benefits limited to only a certain number of years unless the recipient is disabled. This forces people to have a plan to better themselves and to get it done. 

I agree with everything except the free breakfast. Breakfast is essential, and a lot of kids don't want to eat at home but their parents don't want to pay for a breakfast at school. A hungry kid is more likely to get into trouble/be disruptive in the classroom and not as likely to learn. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM

In the state of california your cash benefits will NOT go up if you have another child on it Unless you get documentation that you had your tubes tied, and iud and it failed.

Quoting Anonymous:

No more staying at home for 5+ years until your youngest child is in school.  Benefits will not go up with each new child a person has.

cowboysgirl2810
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM
in some states, you dont have to sign for wic. in NM and TX i know for sure, and a few others, they actually issue a card with benefits. just like the EBT card. its their way of "going green" and cutting down on the paper voucher waste. and they can auto fill benefits and save appt slots. (just to share that lil bit)

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

I've always wondered why you don't have to sign for ebt but you do for wic.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured