Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

depression/suicide/mental illness

Posted by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM
  • 66 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you take depression/mental illness seriously?

Options:

yes

no

not sure

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 125

View Results

I'm jw how many CMers have depression/mental illness. Do you guys feel like there isn't enough education and awareness of mental illness or do you think that isn't that big of a deal? I'm asking because of another post that was discussing suicide and myself and OP are discussing the topic as we feel like there isn't enough information out there for other people who do not have mental illness. A lot of people who don't have MI don't understand the depth of the disease and how serious it is. What are your opinions bc I'm really interested to see what you think?

Let me add that I suffer from MDD and possibly BD.

by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM
5 moms liked this

The average American is grossly uneducated on the topic of mental illnesses and disorders. This has perpetuated the stigma that is associated with having a mental illness or disorder. This is why so many with a mental illness or disorder do not seek out proper care. For instance, how many times has it been posted on here that a mom is suffering from depression and wants to get help but is scared of being labeled with a mental illness or disorder for fear of their child being taken away for that sole fact. We need more education and awareness of mental illnesses and disorders as well as more access to adequate mental health help.

FYI, I have GID, PTSD and depression (or possibly bipolar disorder).

MrsRi
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM

My mum killed herself.

I'm aware of mental illnesses.

Honestly, its about what you want it to be.  If it doesn't effect you, a lot of people don't care.  I guess I don't care that people aren't as aware as they are with like HIV or something.  The main reasoning's?  Because unless you deal with it directly, there is no amount of education and empathy training that will prepare you for it or even help you understand it.

Titana
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM
I think it is brushed off by many people and looked down at by many others. It's sad. I take it seriously and learn all I can because u never know when u might need it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrssummerlin
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM
This.
I agree 100%

I also suffer from sever depression/ suicidal thoughts/ anxiety/ and OCD. Not fun and hard to explain to someone who has never gone through it.

Quoting purpleducky:

The average American is grossly uneducated on the topic of mental illnesses and disorders. This has perpetuated the stigma that is associated with having a mental illness or disorder. This is why so many with a mental illness or disorder do not seek out proper care. For instance, how many times has it been posted on here that a mom is suffering from depression and wants to get help but is scared of being labeled with a mental illness or disorder for fear of their child being taken away for that sole fact. We need more education and awareness of mental illnesses and disorders as well as more access to adequate mental health help.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
meagn3388
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I agree.

It's ashame that mothers are afraid to get help in fear that their children will be taken away but they need to know that won't happen unless they are a danger to their kids.

Quoting purpleducky:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I have c-ptsd and let me tell you... People instantly jump on the "you shouldn't have kids" bandwagon. I have seen it time and time again. It's disgusting. My CHILD is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me and even with having this disorder which is a BRAIN INJURY (I see it as an injury, not as a mental illness) people just assume the worst bullshit ever like her life is going to be terrible because her mother has had a rough patch or six.

Educate, don't discriminate.

michiganmom5150
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM
I have struggled with depression in my past and now have some anxiety issue brought on by my divorce. My son Is bi-polar, so I totally understand. It's devastating to families and many people do not understand. Strangers have said things to me, mean things, and they have no idea ds has issues. Education does lack.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM
I am but I'm also on medication for it. My last bf (broke up over Thanksgiving for this reason alone), thinks I can be fine without the meds. Without them, I was so depressed, suicidal, and my bipolar was at it's worst ever. I'm back on meds and doing so much better
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:07 PM

According to counselors I have had in the past, I qualify for disability. I will never apply though, because I do not want to take any chance that might lead to my daughter being taken out of the home.

Quoting meagn3388:

I agree.

It's ashame that mothers are afraid to get help in fear that their children will be taken away but they need to know that won't happen unless they are a danger to their kids.

Quoting purpleducky:

meagn3388
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I'm glad to hear you're doing better. I'm on meds too. I definitely need them or I wouldn't be worth crap.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am but I'm also on medication for it. My last bf (broke up over Thanksgiving for this reason alone), thinks I can be fine without the meds. Without them, I was so depressed, suicidal, and my bipolar was at it's worst ever. I'm back on meds and doing so much better

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured