Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well I said if he didn't get me a gift I was going to divorce him it was the final straw - eta

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 259 Replies
9 moms liked this
All day I played the happy wife part because we are at mil's house and I don't want to ruin Christmas. I felt like bawling inside because it was so obvious he hadn't gotten me anything. Then at the last minute when all the gifts were unwrapped he pulled out a box. I couldn't believe it. Inside was an iPod touch, a pink military case for it, and an iTunes gift card. I was shocked. He actually does care about me and listen to me. :-)

Eta - I finally got through the replies and realized a lot of you didn't understand my post. First of all, dh and I have been together 6 years and I do all of the work in the house and child raising. He has never helped out and has always made me feel unappreciated. He has never made me feel loved or appreciated. There is no mutual agreement that we don't do gifts. He expects a gifty from me for occassions and knows I expect one too. And its not like I'm a sahm and he works. We both work equally and make the same amount of money with plenty left over after bills.
I didn't tell him if he doesn't get me a gift that I would divorce him. Actually I have asked for a divorce twice in 8 months and he has promised to change. I haven't been seeing much change. He knows I wanted a gift for Christmas. He knows I don't expect anything expensive or extravagant. Even just something very small and inexpensive would have been wonderful. I thought to myself he knows that I've been unhappy in the marriage and he knows that he promised to change. I just wanted proof that he actually is listenbing and willing to change. like I said, even a $5 movie or something would have thrilled me. Anything just to show he is listening to me. I told him (as I did everyone else) a wide range of things I'd like for Christmas. Things that ranged from a couple of dollars and up. By getting me this he proved that he is listening to me and willing to change. I really don't think this makes me materialistic. He shows his love to family by giving them gifts. I do the same. So why can't we show eachother love by exchanging gifts (which of course I gave him one as well, same as I always do). And of course I know this doesn't make everything ok. We are being very open with eachother and are planning to start marriage counseling and are both now willing to work on our marriage to make it last. I don't want a divorce but I also don't want to be in a marriage that is so one sided. And by communicating with him how I feel he understands and is willing to help fix our marriage.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taylamill
by Tayla on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:42 AM
Does he normally not get you anything for your birthday or a gift just because?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Miller11
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:43 AM
91 moms liked this

Im shaking my head at this...you were willing to divorce if he didnt get you xmas gifts? WTF?

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:43 AM
19 moms liked this

I'm not sure you should base staying with someone on a iPod.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:44 AM
6 moms liked this
divorce over a gift? you kidding me?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:44 AM
7 moms liked this
In 6 years I've never gotten a gift from him. He knows I've been unhappy and fed up. He has really showed me this weekend with his actions and words that he wants things to work. I am just shocked. And so happy.

Quoting taylamill:

Does he normally not get you anything for your birthday or a gift just because?
skymama10
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:44 AM
I'm going to have to agree with this.

Quoting wkukid:

I'm not sure you should base staying with someone on a iPod.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM
8 moms liked this
wow u greedy bitch. I think u deserve nothing.
emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM
23 moms liked this

i'd probably gift wrap some damn divorce papers if i were him. no way would i waste money on someone like you

Head Admin of Survivors

Sammybby09
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM
3 moms liked this
Well..i'm glad he got you something!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccarae
by Bec on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM
5 moms liked this

Sorry, materials don't equal love!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured