Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

He says her tantrums aren't "normal"....

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:27 PM
  • 344 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ava is 2 and some change and a very head strong and stubborn toddler. Sometimes she has bad tantrums, sometimes small tantrums. Today she's had 3 tantrums. Two of which involved high pitch screaming, crying, running away from whoever tried to put her in time out, and hitting. Sometimes she will scream as loud and hard as she can during said tantrums. She will usually lay down and scream "I GO TO SLEEP!" and then pretend to sleep (I'm guessing to get out of time out/etc). Or she will point at me and scream "NO MOMMA! NO!" 

From about the age of 14, I was a nanny of sorts. I'd go to my parent's friend's house to live there for 2 months and take care of whatever children they had while they worked. At 16, I became a PT nanny. So I do have experience in different types of toddlers and whatnot. I even worked with an autistic child for a summer at 15 (what in the WORLD were my parents thinking??).

My bf, who has no children of his own and very limited exposure to children stated tonight that Ava's tantrums were not "normal." I just kind of shrugged and said okay. He then went on to say that her tantrums are going to lead to a mental disorder one day. wtf? Direct quote: "It's not normal that she can't handle stress."

What TWO YEAR OLD can handle "stress"?? Her tantrums are completely normal, IMO. Jade had similar tantrums and I remember one day her throwing about 10 tantrums. And she's a very normal 5 yr old.

So what say you? Are her tantrums "normal"?

Photobucket

by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:29 PM
10 moms liked this
Your friend is a moron
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:29 PM
34 moms liked this

shes two. she'd wipe her poop on the walls if she thought it would get her somewhere. lol. she is totally normal imo.

brebugmom91
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:30 PM
LMAO!! My 5.5 year old did it and my 18 month old does it. Its normal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:32 PM
7 moms liked this

That's why it's called the "Terrible Twos"!!! 

Dqnana
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Does it happen at certain times or after certain foods? Sugar, food additives, etc can cause some kids to go up a wall.  Regular bedtimes and the proper amount of sleep is also huge. You may just need to tough this out, but she is certainly old enough to learn that this kind of behavior is unacceptable.  I don't think that BF is completely crazy, but it sounds like he is not ready to take on the role of dad.  Is he her father?  

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:34 PM
3 moms liked this

Normal, though I hope you're not letting her get away with those antics. What do you do when she goes into one of her tantrums? Are you being consistent when you discipline?

robyann
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Yep her tantrums are perfectly normal ... :)

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Completely normal. My DD's screams could shatter eardrums at 2.

Now, if she is nearly 7 and acting this way, then I would think you had a problem. (I babysat a boy that would scream at the top of his lungs and throw a tantrum every time he didn't get his way and his parents did NOTHING about it)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:36 PM
22 moms liked this

I had 4 kids, none of them threw tantrums. I didn't allow it.I would catch it and tell them if that is the way they wanted to act they could go in their own room with the door closed and throw as big a tantrum as they wanted, and when they were done they could come out and act like a normal person. It always worked for me. Before you say anything, they are now 30, 29, 19 and 17. They are absolutely great people and they are absolutely normal kids. And yes a two year old understands! 

mich.el.le
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL.  Dummy.  They're SO normal.

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN