Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Let's clear up a misconception: not everyone on PA is lazy

Posted by   + Show Post

Honestly these posts about lazy people on PA is driving me a bit nuts.

Why?  Because I know many people on PA who work their asses off and still can't make ends meet. 

Right now DH and I are on WIC, food stamps and heat assistance.  Why?  Because he has cancer and can't work and I lost my job due to state budget cuts.  We are both disabled veterans and when we looked at the economy and how things are going we decided that we should go back to school.  So we are both full time students in college so that we can make the future better for our family.  While we are doing that we need a bit of extra help mainly until DH is finally approved by the VA for disability.

I have a friend who is also on PA.  She is currently working 4 jobs (2 seasonal and 2 part time).  She works her ass off but still can't make ends meet so she has WIC and food stamps.  She also goes to school part time.

I know many hard working people who just can't seem to make ends meet in this economy.  They are either working hard on getting their education and they are working hard in multiple jobs or working full time.  

You can't judge every situation just by seeing one side of it.  Things such for a lot of people in today's world.  

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:35 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't think anyone begrudges someone who has cancer, the welfare system.  Now you all continue to shit out kids and he is cured and perfectly able to work but chooses not to, that's a different story. And I also think that kids should go to school before having children.  I don't think it's my responsibility to feed and house kids you made while you go to school. 

CutieCrab
by Jen on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:35 AM
True!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:35 AM
This.

Quoting jakesmom323:

People like you need it and deserve it. There are a lot of people that abuse the system and use it as a lifestyle without bettering their situation. Those are the people that are lazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Good luck completely clearing up the misconception... it runs rampant in this group. But I'm pretty sure no one has a problem with people who really need and receive the services. Just with those who abuse the system. So if you are using them legitimately, then you can just ignore them--they aren't talking about you.

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I believe that the people they are referring to being lazy are not the ones that just need a little help to make ends meet, or get them through a season of their life (such as going back to school after a layoff), but the ones who are "career PA recipients". Those who got comfortable at the bottom and chose to stay there.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Don't let things bother you
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ArisMom208
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM

And people like you deserve it, but like the post that was here yesterday about how she lied about her husband working and not living with her so she could get money, i think she doesn't deserve it and shouldn't be able to get on it again. 

It just depends on the situation, i'm glad its available to those who need it. 

Teenage Mommy &Wife (ProLIFE-AntiOBAMA)

I breastfeed ANYtime, ANYwhere, and would NEVER spank

I run a dog rescue, and have three "evil" pit bulls. 

March 7th 2012 && September 10 2012

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Yet you smoke weed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I understand your position HOWEVER two grown adults with children both don't need to be in school full time. There was a time and a place for that, and it has passed. When you have children you have to support them, not make a career out of going to school. I hope your situation improves from all of your schooling.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Who cares? Some people get theirs for free.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yet you smoke weed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)