Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Let's clear up a misconception: not everyone on PA is lazy

Posted by   + Show Post

Honestly these posts about lazy people on PA is driving me a bit nuts.

Why?  Because I know many people on PA who work their asses off and still can't make ends meet. 

Right now DH and I are on WIC, food stamps and heat assistance.  Why?  Because he has cancer and can't work and I lost my job due to state budget cuts.  We are both disabled veterans and when we looked at the economy and how things are going we decided that we should go back to school.  So we are both full time students in college so that we can make the future better for our family.  While we are doing that we need a bit of extra help mainly until DH is finally approved by the VA for disability.

I have a friend who is also on PA.  She is currently working 4 jobs (2 seasonal and 2 part time).  She works her ass off but still can't make ends meet so she has WIC and food stamps.  She also goes to school part time.

I know many hard working people who just can't seem to make ends meet in this economy.  They are either working hard on getting their education and they are working hard in multiple jobs or working full time.  

You can't judge every situation just by seeing one side of it.  Things such for a lot of people in today's world.  

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Replies (41-50):
blues_pagan
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM

nah...really!

Quoting Anonymous:

The GI bill does not cover foodstamps and WIC, the taxpayers do.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Well considering that both DH and I are disabled veterans and are using our Gi Bills to go to school to better ourselves I guess that you can have this negative outlook.  

Quoting Anonymous:

So essentially we are paying for you and your husband to go back to school and make a better life for yourselves, how about one of you go to school at a time and the other works. Why do we have to foot the complete bill for both of you? How are you working hard exactly? Most people I know that are going to school full time are also working, and are not on PA. You are not working hard, you are living off of all of us!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM

But you just admitted that you are on PA.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Well considering that both DH and I are disabled veterans and are using our Gi Bills to go to school to better ourselves I guess that you can have this negative outlook.  

Quoting Anonymous:

So essentially we are paying for you and your husband to go back to school and make a better life for yourselves, how about one of you go to school at a time and the other works. Why do we have to foot the complete bill for both of you? How are you working hard exactly? Most people I know that are going to school full time are also working, and are not on PA. You are not working hard, you are living off of all of us!

blues_pagan
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Yes we are on PA.  We are using our veterans benefits to go to school.

Quoting Anonymous:

But you just admitted that you are on PA.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting Anonymous:

MichelleSw
by CoolStory on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Yeah, but abuse does exist. The other day I volunteered at Salvation Army to hand out food and gifts. Some were grateful, some acted entitled, and some were down right ugly. One lady argued why she didn't get bikes when every one else got bikes, but yet she just received a bag of toys and wrapping supplies with a whole Christmas meal. I left. I couldn't do it any longer. Utterly fucking disgusting. Most people in PA are just lazy & content. I do understand people fall on hard times, but it's not made for lifetime use. You deserve every bit of assistance just for serving our country!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Hit a nerve did she, how long have you lived off the rest of us?

Quoting winkyloafer:

Oh, shut up.

Quoting Anonymous:

LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:17 AM
PA should only be for people who are disabled or injured or for temporary assistance after a job loss. If a normal, healthy person is working her ass off and cant make ends meet; a change needs to be made. Of course, I think a lot needs to change in our society. People should be paid a livable wage for hard work.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Exactly. Im on pa because my husband left us.. I'm in school full time and work.. my kids are babies. I'm run ragged. Just because we need help right now doesn't mean I'm lazy.
winkyloafer
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:18 AM
There are people who are going to abuse the assistance programs but people who bitch about how lazy we are that use the benefits and that they're "paying for us" need to take it to the government. Seriously, the programs exist for a reason and as awful as they are, they wouldn't have created it for the intentions of making people lazy. Even I'm paying for my benefits and the benefits of others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
winkyloafer
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I'll pay you no heed, ElitestJen.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hit a nerve did she, how long have you lived off the rest of us?

Quoting winkyloafer:

Oh, shut up.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

You can not seriously be telling us that you are gauranteed to get into medical school when you can't even write.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Right now DH and I are looking into medical school (which we are all but guaranteed to get into).  People always need Doctors.

Quoting Anonymous:

College is going to do you no good if there are no jobs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured