Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do You Think It Is Okay To Wear Fur?

Real Fur Coats Should Be Okay to Wear (As Long As They're Vintage)

Posted by Michele Zipp

vintage furI wear fur. Well I have fur coats and I used to wear them a lot more than I do now. I have four of them. All vintage. The one I'm wearing in this photo I purchased for $40. It's the warmest coat I own, but I don't wear it that much because it's feels showy, maybe too glamorous. And if I wore it to pick up my kids from preschool it would feel as if I was wearing a ball gown with a tiara.  Sure the tiara would be a hit with the kids, but would the dead rabbit annoy some of the other parents? Do I need to sew a button on it that says "It's okay. It's vintage."

Because I do feel that makes it okay. The animal has long been dead -- we're talking gone for 30 or 40 years -- and the coats are just floating around in vintage stores and Etsy shops waiting to keep someone really warm in the winter. Wearing a vintage fur coat is just like recycling. It's eco-friendly in it's own way.

So why do I find it so hard to wear for the everyday?

Maybe I worry that since I'm a mom now, the act of picking up my kids -- up and down and up and down -- would just make my fur coat shed causing a trail of dead bunny rabbit hairs all over the place? Would it be weird to be in a fur coat and pushing my kid on a swing at the park? Just as odd as say, wearing heels at the playground. I've done that. I can do this, too.

What is stopping me from wearing my fur? Maybe it's because I don't live in NYC anymore and I'm upstate in a crunchy town? Then I saw Pam. Her daughter is in class with my twins. Pam always looks gorgeous even when just coming from a run. I can't even run so the fact that she can and still look that good is incredible in my book. There she was in a faux fur coat picking her child up from school. Instantly glamorous without overdoing it. Perfect.

faux fur coat

The look of real fur versus fake fur is essentially the same. No stigma attached to the fake one though, and no chance of shedding. But the style, the way it's plush and cozy and warm and fancy, is there.

Pam's faux fur has given me the courage to wear my real fur. My vintage real fur. Or shall I just start calling it my eco-fur coat.

Do you wear vintage fur?

Do you think it's okay to wear fur?

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Replies (191-200):
MyGirlsAbbyLiz
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM
So people don't ignore animal protection laws? You really think the workers at a fur farm or slaughterhouse are following these laws perfectly?

And unless you only eat meat, you're an omnivore.

Quoting DropZoneMom:

Have a couple of vintage fur hats (LOVE hats from the '30's/'40's).   Also wear leather (I'm a biker) and I'm a complete carnivore.   Besides, there are SO many animal protection laws in place these days.   So, yeah.   Wearing fur is okay (even if it's not vintage).

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MyGirlsAbbyLiz
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM
Humans have developed past the need to wear fur.. and cavemen also ate what they skinned. Do you eat chinchilla or fox? I highly doubt it.

Quoting Armymom134:

Yep, we human beings have been wearing animal pelts for hundreds upon hundreds of years, so why is it any different now.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nverheyn2011
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM

to each their own. but me... never.

batmansgirl
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I don't care what you wear.... If I had a fur coat I would wear it. I wear leather.

HerLadyGrey
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM

If you live in the wilderness and you've killed the animal yourself?

HollyBoBolly
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I think that fur is disgusting.  Sure, you may be wearing something that died 40 years ago, but the message it sends is that it is okay to wear fur so others may want to go get a brand new one. There is no need for people to wear a real animal.  There are alternatives.

banana-bear
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Never okay.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

*Sinks deeper into my leather couch cushions*

If was okay with the slaughtering of -insert number here- cows for the sake of a couch then you can wear as much fur as you want.  I have a chinchilla, a mink and a Fox that were all my grandma's (she didn't want them).  I don't wear them all the time but I like to go in my closet and "pet" them from time to time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I hate real fur. everyone has that line they don't want to cross, and i think that a animal dying just for the purpose of making a pretty coat is way to over the line.

I can't stand it. I once but on a fur collar in a store because I assumed it was fake. when Dh told me it was real fox I tossed that thing off and started to cry.

that's me.

mom23heathens
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I think it's fine as long as it's not from an animal that was killed solely for it's fur. Indians would use the whole animal, nothing went to waste and no animal was killed solely for sport but for survival.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)