Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do You Think It Is Okay To Wear Fur?

Real Fur Coats Should Be Okay to Wear (As Long As They're Vintage)

Posted by Michele Zipp

vintage furI wear fur. Well I have fur coats and I used to wear them a lot more than I do now. I have four of them. All vintage. The one I'm wearing in this photo I purchased for $40. It's the warmest coat I own, but I don't wear it that much because it's feels showy, maybe too glamorous. And if I wore it to pick up my kids from preschool it would feel as if I was wearing a ball gown with a tiara.  Sure the tiara would be a hit with the kids, but would the dead rabbit annoy some of the other parents? Do I need to sew a button on it that says "It's okay. It's vintage."

Because I do feel that makes it okay. The animal has long been dead -- we're talking gone for 30 or 40 years -- and the coats are just floating around in vintage stores and Etsy shops waiting to keep someone really warm in the winter. Wearing a vintage fur coat is just like recycling. It's eco-friendly in it's own way.

So why do I find it so hard to wear for the everyday?

Maybe I worry that since I'm a mom now, the act of picking up my kids -- up and down and up and down -- would just make my fur coat shed causing a trail of dead bunny rabbit hairs all over the place? Would it be weird to be in a fur coat and pushing my kid on a swing at the park? Just as odd as say, wearing heels at the playground. I've done that. I can do this, too.

What is stopping me from wearing my fur? Maybe it's because I don't live in NYC anymore and I'm upstate in a crunchy town? Then I saw Pam. Her daughter is in class with my twins. Pam always looks gorgeous even when just coming from a run. I can't even run so the fact that she can and still look that good is incredible in my book. There she was in a faux fur coat picking her child up from school. Instantly glamorous without overdoing it. Perfect.

faux fur coat

The look of real fur versus fake fur is essentially the same. No stigma attached to the fake one though, and no chance of shedding. But the style, the way it's plush and cozy and warm and fancy, is there.

Pam's faux fur has given me the courage to wear my real fur. My vintage real fur. Or shall I just start calling it my eco-fur coat.

Do you wear vintage fur?

Do you think it's okay to wear fur?

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Replies (41-50):
WhitleyLyles
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM
thats what I thought when I read this. whats the difference in leather or eating meat. all are animal products

Quoting Not_A_Native:

My opinion?  It's just as ok to wear fur as it is to wear leather, or to eat meat.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
livelaughlov26
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:26 AM
I just think its ugly as sin.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
meagn3388
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Well I can't afford real fur/leather, but I'll wear faux fur/leather. If I could afford to wear the real thing I would bc I eat meat so what's the difference?

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:28 AM
I think fur is fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:34 AM

We all wear fur, including the kids, but it's not vintage. We wear fur that we know came from an animal that was killed for other reasons in a humane way. For example, we all have deer skin gloves and my four year old has a deer skin jacket, which were given as gifts by friends who shot the deer for the meat. You don't actually see the fur in both cases because it's on the inside, the skin is on the outside, but the idea is the same. It's better than just throwing out the skin and letting it go to waste and they need the meat for eat. I think as long as the animal was treated humanely and the other parts of it were used, it's fine. As for big vintage fur coats, it's old, the animal is dead anyway, I probably wouldn't ever wear it because of the principal of it, that it was a part of the inhumane side of the fur trade, but I don't see it as a problem if you wear it. But, coats like that aren't really an everyday thing, to me they seem kind of silly unless you are going to a big event, it's like wearing a ballgown or tux to the grocery store.

Ali5683
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I don't see an issue with wearing fur. If you can afford it and like it, wear it!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:44 AM

No, I don't like the look of fur.

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I don't but yes i think it is okay to wear fur.

IndigoRose
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I have vintage fur coats & jackets (minks, and marmot, and sheared beaver).  They were given to me by my Mom who has passed away.  They're beautiful.  Yes,---I wear them in the winter.  There is nothing as warm as real fur.  

I have Russian blood.  Up in the far north of Russia (Siberia) people wear FUR.  It's so cold up there in the Winter (30- ) that water freezes in the air if you throw it out the door!...  TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

jellybeanjean
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Exactly. as long as it isn't some endangered animal its fine. In fact at least those animals got to live in the wild for a bit before they were captured vs the farm raised ones we eat that never had a chance....although maybe some fur animals are farmed? I dunno.....

anyway I have faux fu and loooooove it. If i could afford the real thing I would buy it!

Quoting Not_A_Native:

My opinion?  It's just as ok to wear fur as it is to wear leather, or to eat meat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)