Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I being oversensitive?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am a married SAHM with 2 kids, ages 7 and 9. My sister is a married working mom with 2 kids, ages 7  and 10.  My parents are retired and frequently invite my sister's children to spend the night on school holidays and will take my nephews to play at the park, etc. on their days off of school.  My parents have NEVER invited my kids to spend the night or offered to take them anywhere.

I suspect that my parents extend these invitations to my sister's kids to help her out with childcare.  My kids are hurt that Grandpa takes their cousins places, but has never invited them.  For the record, both sets of children are well-behaved.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kjfamily
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I know the feeling and it hurts..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM

So your sister works full-time and you stay at home full-time.  Your parents give the working mom a break by taking the kids sometimes.  Yes, you are. 

meagn3388
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you ever asked your parents why? I don't think you're being oversensitive bc when our kids' feelings are hurt, it hurts us too. I think you should talk to your parents though and tell them how your kids feel about that.

Peaceful.chaos
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM
I don't know. My parents are the same way but I believe they're just closer to their other grandchildren than they are with mine but I'm okay with it. I suspect they're trying to be helpful to your sister and figure you've got things well in hand because you stay at home with your children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SterlingHeart
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM

i know this pain all to well 

i have nothing to say to help ease your situation either and that sucks cause i would love some thoughts on this too 

bless you and hope you find a way to communicate to them what effect this is having on your kids 

Mazie0723
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Does your sister work weekends?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

So your sister works full-time and you stay at home full-time.  Your parents give the working mom a break by taking the kids sometimes.  Yes, you are. 

mich.el.le
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Talk to your parents. It's not about you being sensitive, your kids feelings are hurt.

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

That sucks. Your parents seem to be playing favorites. You staying home DOES NOT MATTER. Grandparents should want to spend equal amounts of time with their grandchildren.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN