Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ETA I told my ex no play douh at my house, then he text me this...am I wrong?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I called DD who is at her dads still. She says that Santa brought her play douh. I said to make sure and leave it at daddy's house.

I absolutely hate that stuff. Last time he sent her some for her birthday she let it sit out and I found it dried up in the carpet. Plus she tried to feed it to her brother.

So when we get off the phone my ex sends me a message asking why I don want her to play with it. I tell him why I don't want it here. Then he says "Because you don't feel like parenting, (DD's) mental growth suffers. Unbelievable."

DDs fine motor skills are behind so the teacher listed some things to help her improve. Play douh was on the list, but so were a bunch of other things. I don't think that by not letting her bring play douh home I'm hindering her. Do you think I'm wrong?

ETA: DD has plenty of other tools at her disposal to help with her fine motor skills. She sorts buttons, strings beads, uses markers, crayons, pens and pencils to color and practice her writing(which is what she's behind on). She paints, practices cutting and gluing, and uses perler beads(another thing I dispise because the beads are so small and go everywhere)

The issue isn't that I don't sit down with her and supervise her play doh use. I just absolutely hate play doh. The smell, the feel, AND the fact that it is a mess. She has play doh that her dad sent her a month ago for her birthday. Most of what he sent her was crumbled up and left to dry out. I found some hidden in the bedroom stuck to the carpet. And yes, the play doh was kept out of reach. Or so I thought. It was on the refrigerator. And apparently she used a chair to get it down. Oh, and yes, she is supervised. But she's 6, I don feel the need to sit beside her and constantly hold her hand.

There are plenty of other things on the list that her dad coul have got her to help wit her fine motor skills. He chose play doh after I specifically requested him not to get her anymore for Christmas. She has opportunities to use it at school. And just a couple weeks ago she she made salt dough ornaments for people's Christmas presents. So I fail to see how me telling her to keep it at her dads means I'm failing to be a parent. If he has no issues with it then he can keep it there and she can use it when she visits him.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Replies (151-160):
minimo77
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Sounds like your ex is right. Be a parent, let her play with it in an area without carpet, and * gasp* supervise her using it. Those were your reasons for hating it, so if you were to actualy be a parent, it wouldnt be so bad, and if your dds fine motor skills are soo far behind, what you are having her do, obviously isnt working.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Or her dad can keep it at his house an she can play with it there. It's not that hard to do.

Quoting 3lilmonsters88:

You are just being a little over dramatic about some damn playdoh. You can put a sheet down and specifically tell her to stay on the sheet and then watch her. Its not that hard to do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:00 PM

has that worked for her? and dont listen to what other ppl say about you not letting her play with playdoh they aint the ones that have to clean that shit up lol

Quoting Anonymous:

She may have that. Or something similar. It's a little orange tablet thing that lets her play games and trace and write letters.

Quoting Anonymous:

my daughter is only 4 but she has trouble identifing letters we got her this scribble an write toy from i think leapfrog or vtech its one of those anywayz it will light up the letter one at a time in the box and she can trace them and it teaches her shapes and evrything i dnt know if you have tried it or not but its not that expensive and its working for her

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, but play doh is far from the only option to help her. My DD is behind in her writing skills. She's 6 and cannot write. Although she has learned a few letters from her name. There are a million options to help her wit her fine motor skills. Leavin out play doh isn't the end of the world. And you're right, it is difficult with a younger child. I don't have the time to just sit down for an hour while she plays with it. I'm a single mom and if I did that nothing would get done. Plus my DS is 14 months and no way would he be occupied that long.

Quoting Anonymous:

i dont like playdoh either and i dont like for my kids to have it but my daughter has develomental delays and they arent sure yet or not if she is autistic and if they said letting her play with playdoh then i would put some plastic down in the kitchen or maybe where ever there isnt any carpet and let her play with it on there. if your watching her then it shouldnt be that bad. And i understand that you cant watch them all the time like an eagle bc then nothing else would get done i have four small children so i understand how its hard to just give one so much attention and still get everything else that needs done done but i bet you could figure out a good time to do it

3lilmonsters88
by Carolina Sky on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM
Smh

Quoting Anonymous:

Or her dad can keep it at his house an she can play with it there. It's not that hard to do.

Quoting 3lilmonsters88:

You are just being a little over dramatic about some damn playdoh. You can put a sheet down and specifically tell her to stay on the sheet and then watch her. Its not that hard to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:03 PM
Kind of. It doesn't hold her attention very long. I have found that what works best is when I write a word on paper then she tries to write the word under mine. I bought her those books where you trace the letters. But I think she likes having me write it out too.

Quoting Anonymous:

has that worked for her? and dont listen to what other ppl say about you not letting her play with playdoh they aint the ones that have to clean that shit up lol

Quoting Anonymous:

She may have that. Or something similar. It's a little orange tablet thing that lets her play games and trace and write letters.

Quoting Anonymous:

my daughter is only 4 but she has trouble identifing letters we got her this scribble an write toy from i think leapfrog or vtech its one of those anywayz it will light up the letter one at a time in the box and she can trace them and it teaches her shapes and evrything i dnt know if you have tried it or not but its not that expensive and its working for her

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, but play doh is far from the only option to help her. My DD is behind in her writing skills. She's 6 and cannot write. Although she has learned a few letters from her name. There are a million options to help her wit her fine motor skills. Leavin out play doh isn't the end of the world. And you're right, it is difficult with a younger child. I don't have the time to just sit down for an hour while she plays with it. I'm a single mom and if I did that nothing would get done. Plus my DS is 14 months and no way would he be occupied that long.

Quoting Anonymous:

i dont like playdoh either and i dont like for my kids to have it but my daughter has develomental delays and they arent sure yet or not if she is autistic and if they said letting her play with playdoh then i would put some plastic down in the kitchen or maybe where ever there isnt any carpet and let her play with it on there. if your watching her then it shouldnt be that bad. And i understand that you cant watch them all the time like an eagle bc then nothing else would get done i have four small children so i understand how its hard to just give one so much attention and still get everything else that needs done done but i bet you could figure out a good time to do it

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM
The techniques that we've been using have been working. Since starting them she can now write most of the letters in her name. Something she wasn't able to do before.

Quoting minimo77:

Sounds like your ex is right. Be a parent, let her play with it in an area without carpet, and * gasp* supervise her using it. Those were your reasons for hating it, so if you were to actualy be a parent, it wouldnt be so bad, and if your dds fine motor skills are soo far behind, what you are having her do, obviously isnt working.

mamaeagle216
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
But she's a single mother and doesn't have the time to deal with play doh and all that clean up. Come on people, don't know you that single moms have it way too hard?

Let her have the play doh. You're the one acting like a child. If you're kids skills are compromised, deal with some damn play doh. Goodness. No wonder she's behind.

Quoting minimo77:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:08 PM

you all are acting as if playdoh is the only form that this child can use and if you read what the op said she said the etacher gave them a list and yes playdoh was on it but so was alot of other things if the dad is ok with playdoh then the child can play with it at his  house and do something different at the moms house. 

melissa632
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Eh. I don't allow play-doh at my house either. And my youngest is 9 years old. And if I find my pitt chewing gum again, I'm going to ban that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM
She can have the play doh, at her dads. She's still got some here. There's no reason to bring more of the same stuff home. She can use it at his house. And I wasn't aware that playing with play doh was the only way to learn how to write. Thanks for letting me know.

Quoting mamaeagle216:

But she's a single mother and doesn't have the time to deal with play doh and all that clean up. Come on people, don't know you that single moms have it way too hard?

Let her have the play doh. You're the one acting like a child. If you're kids skills are compromised, deal with some damn play doh. Goodness. No wonder she's behind.

Quoting minimo77:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured