Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Christians, would you let your kid have a Pagan friend? UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

My family and I are openly Pagan. 

My kids are allowed to learn about and even follow different religious or spiritual paths if they so choose.

My 13 yr old is quite Pagan. He gave a talk on it in Boy Scouts a few years ago, and  he wears a Pentacle necklace all the time. 

Most of his friends are either Pagan or their parents are good friends of mine who know we are Pagan.

We recently moved to a new neighborhood and he met a boy who is also 13. The boys have become best friends and are frequently at each other's houses.

Not long ago, his friend made the comment "Wow your family really likes that star in a circle..You all must be from Texas?" My son looked confused and then said "We lived in Corpus Christi for awhile" (we did)

Then the boys went off to ride bikes....

Later, my son asked me if he should tell his friend that we are Pagan and what the star in a circle really is. I asked him why he was concerned and he said that his friend's family is very Christian and has pictures of Jesus around the house and go to church all the time and he didn't want them to refuse to allow them to play together. 

I told him I would think about it and we will talk later.....

So Christains, what would your reation be if you found out one of your kid's friend was Pagan and from a Pagan family? Would you still let your child play with the kid? Go to their house? Spend the night? 

UPDATE:

I had to take my son to the ER last night (he's fine now) and when we got there his friend was there with his mother. They had brought a neighbor in to be seen.

We sat next to them and the mom and I started talking. Finally, I said to her that there was something I had been meaning to talk to her about. I explained that my son was worried that if she found out our spiitual beliefs that she wouldn't let the boys play together. 

She asked what we believed, and I told her we were Pagan. She had heard of Paganism but really didn't know much about it. I gave her a brief rundown and offered to explain it more in depth at my house some day, and even offered to let her borrow a couple of my books if she wanted.

She said that she didn't have a problem with it, and she was glad the boys were friends. She said my son was a good influence on hers and that my son had nothing to worry about. 

She even gave my son a hug and told him he was a great kid and she didn't care what he believed in. 

I want to thank everyone who answered honestly and respectfully even when your views were different from mine. 

Life in a Pagan Family (my blog)
http://lifeinapaganfamily.blog.com/
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Replies (261-270):
angelenia
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM
there it is. i was wondering when someone was going to respond this way. took surpringly longer than i expected.

and fyi, anon, this is an incredibly offensive thing to say about anyone's beliefs. what if i told you you might think you are good, but you really serve the devil? i can make a pretty strong case that MANY Christians think they are good but their actions toward non Christians are more indicative of serving the Devil.

and we don't believe in the Devil. he is as fictional to Pagans as our Deities are to you.

Quoting Anonymous:

No I would not. Even if you think you are good person being a pagan, you are really in league with the devil. I would not want my child believing that it is okay to mess with sorcery.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:42 PM
2 moms liked this

There have been 3 or 4 such replies...all from Anon of course. 

I ignore them, they are either trolls wanting to stir shit, or the hard core fundies that make Christians look bad.

Quoting angelenia:

there it is. i was wondering when someone was going to respond this way. took surpringly longer than i expected.

and fyi, anon, this is an incredibly offensive thing to say about anyone's beliefs. what if i told you you might think you are good, but you really serve the devil? i can make a pretty strong case that MANY Christians think they are good but their actions toward non Christians are more indicative of serving the Devil.

and we don't believe in the Devil. he is as fictional to Pagans as our Deities are to you.

Quoting Anonymous:

No I would not. Even if you think you are good person being a pagan, you are really in league with the devil. I would not want my child believing that it is okay to mess with sorcery.

MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't like being witnessed to either.  If people want to know I'll explain my beliefs otherwise I don't.  I think evanglists turn off more people than they save.

Quoting wrensong:

If my son's friend tried to witness to him, my son would politely ask him to stop and tell him he has his own beliefs. 

Quoting Squid12:

Since Christ loved all and the goal of Christianity is to follow the Bible and Christ's teachings, yes. Plus, my kid could witness to the little pagan boy.

Although, I despise religion and chose to have faith. If I were you I'd talk to the parents.

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

When someone starts trying to witness to me, I tell them I went to Christian school for 5 years and have read the Bible more than once. I am aware of the Christian beliefs, and  while I respect their right to believe as they do, it isn't for me

Quoting MicheleJM:

I don't like being witnessed to either.  If people want to know I'll explain my beliefs otherwise I don't.  I think evanglists turn off more people than they save.

Quoting wrensong:

If my son's friend tried to witness to him, my son would politely ask him to stop and tell him he has his own beliefs. 

Quoting Squid12:

Since Christ loved all and the goal of Christianity is to follow the Bible and Christ's teachings, yes. Plus, my kid could witness to the little pagan boy.

Although, I despise religion and chose to have faith. If I were you I'd talk to the parents.

SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:56 PM
I'm not sure. I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who thinks s/he can do magic(k).
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I judge a person by the person not their religion and we are very much Christian. 

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:58 PM

It isn't Hollywood type "magic". It's more like praying. 

Quoting SommelierMom:

I'm not sure. I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who thinks s/he can do magic(k).

MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this

What did Jesus say? A house divided among itself cannot stand...Satan cannot cast out Satan? Matthew 12;25. Also Matt 12:33 You shall know a tree by its fruit.  Jesus was talking about casting out demons but the point as I see it was an evil man can't be on the side of God nor a good man with Satan.  So I take this to mean that a person regardless of their religion who is trying to do good and be righteous can't be in league with Satan. Argue if they are following the "true" religion if you wish, anons, but the "in league with Satan" doesn't make sense.  Of course some only read from the bible want they wish to.

Quoting wrensong:

There have been 3 or 4 such replies...all from Anon of course. 

I ignore them, they are either trolls wanting to stir shit, or the hard core fundies that make Christians look bad.

Quoting angelenia:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I would allow it. We try to teach our children to be open and accepting of others. Race, religion, etc. doesn't matter. As long as nothing was going on in the other families home that could harm my child, I am open to it. I think it is good for people- all people- to be exposed to other ways of life and other beliefs.

AdryF
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:06 PM
I am a Christian and it wouldn't bother me at all. I have Pagan friends, atheist friends, agnostic friends, and friends that pratice other religons. As long as the child didn't behave in a harmful way to my child (stealing, drinking, drugs...). Their friends will be their choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)