Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Christians, would you let your kid have a Pagan friend? UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

My family and I are openly Pagan. 

My kids are allowed to learn about and even follow different religious or spiritual paths if they so choose.

My 13 yr old is quite Pagan. He gave a talk on it in Boy Scouts a few years ago, and  he wears a Pentacle necklace all the time. 

Most of his friends are either Pagan or their parents are good friends of mine who know we are Pagan.

We recently moved to a new neighborhood and he met a boy who is also 13. The boys have become best friends and are frequently at each other's houses.

Not long ago, his friend made the comment "Wow your family really likes that star in a circle..You all must be from Texas?" My son looked confused and then said "We lived in Corpus Christi for awhile" (we did)

Then the boys went off to ride bikes....

Later, my son asked me if he should tell his friend that we are Pagan and what the star in a circle really is. I asked him why he was concerned and he said that his friend's family is very Christian and has pictures of Jesus around the house and go to church all the time and he didn't want them to refuse to allow them to play together. 

I told him I would think about it and we will talk later.....

So Christains, what would your reation be if you found out one of your kid's friend was Pagan and from a Pagan family? Would you still let your child play with the kid? Go to their house? Spend the night? 

UPDATE:

I had to take my son to the ER last night (he's fine now) and when we got there his friend was there with his mother. They had brought a neighbor in to be seen.

We sat next to them and the mom and I started talking. Finally, I said to her that there was something I had been meaning to talk to her about. I explained that my son was worried that if she found out our spiitual beliefs that she wouldn't let the boys play together. 

She asked what we believed, and I told her we were Pagan. She had heard of Paganism but really didn't know much about it. I gave her a brief rundown and offered to explain it more in depth at my house some day, and even offered to let her borrow a couple of my books if she wanted.

She said that she didn't have a problem with it, and she was glad the boys were friends. She said my son was a good influence on hers and that my son had nothing to worry about. 

She even gave my son a hug and told him he was a great kid and she didn't care what he believed in. 

I want to thank everyone who answered honestly and respectfully even when your views were different from mine. 

Life in a Pagan Family (my blog)
http://lifeinapaganfamily.blog.com/
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Replies (281-290):
ambermarie2006
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:12 PM
My kids are pagan (accept oldest who practices Christianity now) and none of their friends parents even realize.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gabrielle1982
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

If they are truly Christian they will be accepting.  If they are regular human beings they will be accepting. haha. I'd be more concerned about letting YOUR kid hang out with THEM if they aren't accepting.

Shelhead
by Michelle on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

I wouldn't have a reaction, but that's not something that bothers me.  I'm Christian, but I understand a little about Paganism.  My kids can be friends with whoever they choose as long as they're good, decent people.

This exactly

mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

I actually know a lot of what is written in the Bible I have read it entirely and try to continue to study it each day. I don't hate anyone if that is what u r insinuating . But Jesus warns believers of who they spend their time with . It's one thing to help unbelievers and to show them God's love every opportunity you can, however its another to hang out with them in their unbelief . You become like your company . So if this angers you that is perfectly fine . Jesus said people would be offended bc of Him .

I'm glad I dont hang out with the likes of you. I would hate to become a damn hypocrite!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:53 PM
Quoting mysticalmalissa:

How am I being a hypocrite ?
MagicTemptation
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't go through all the replies at the moment. I am Pagan (and very open about it, I have a large pentagram tattoo on my arm), and my SO is athiest with Taoist beliefs.  

Although it would be nice if everyone could mutually agree to disagree on things, we have come across people who did not want our children around their children because of our difference in religion. The way I see it, would I really want my children around someone who is so closed minded and unwilling to accept others for who they are? We teach our children many religious beliefs so they can understand that not everyone walks the same path and so we can guide our children to the path they choose.

I would question the integrity of the parent who wouldn't want my pagan children around his/her christian children. I know the ones that get their feelings hurt are the kids in these situations, but I can't do anything to force the other parents. I tell my children that, some people are afraid of what they do not understand and hopefully with time they will come to realize what they lost by not getting to know you/us.

polkastria
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:15 PM

We are a Pagan Atheist family and had parents tell their kids they weren't even allowed to talk to my son at the bus stop and they would be punished if caught.

In my mind, it's better to be honest now since it's easier to deal with the end of a friendship early on than later if his family throws a fit about it. But know that you may be dealing with folks that will seek to convert or "save" your kid if they find out. Had that happen as well a few times.

We moved to a bigger city to get away from the hate... it's helped a lot.

Either way... good luck!

acaisha
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM

why don't you meet the parent of the other kid and feel it out a bit

chefmartha
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Yes. We are Christians but I have taught my children to have respect for all religions. In the past and even now, we have had pagan friends. I wish them a Good Samhain and Happy Yule, just like they wish me a Merry Christmas and Happy Halloween. If their friends want to stay over night I have no problem with it.

MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:32 AM

The idea of using magic and animal sacrifices in Santeria.  The idea of being able to harm or control people through magic or portions in Voodoo. Serpent and the Rainbow stuff.  It scares me.  Santeria doesn't bother me so much actually but Voodoo does.

Quoting Piskie:

What's wrong with Vodou or Santeria?

Quoting MicheleJM:

I wouldn't care, I don't think most of the people I know would either.  But there are a few that would be bothered and try to convert you.  I don't associate with those people myself.  As long as someone is not practicing Santeria, Voodoo, anything involving animal sacrifices or trying to convert me I'm cool.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)