Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Christians, would you let your kid have a Pagan friend? UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

My family and I are openly Pagan. 

My kids are allowed to learn about and even follow different religious or spiritual paths if they so choose.

My 13 yr old is quite Pagan. He gave a talk on it in Boy Scouts a few years ago, and  he wears a Pentacle necklace all the time. 

Most of his friends are either Pagan or their parents are good friends of mine who know we are Pagan.

We recently moved to a new neighborhood and he met a boy who is also 13. The boys have become best friends and are frequently at each other's houses.

Not long ago, his friend made the comment "Wow your family really likes that star in a circle..You all must be from Texas?" My son looked confused and then said "We lived in Corpus Christi for awhile" (we did)

Then the boys went off to ride bikes....

Later, my son asked me if he should tell his friend that we are Pagan and what the star in a circle really is. I asked him why he was concerned and he said that his friend's family is very Christian and has pictures of Jesus around the house and go to church all the time and he didn't want them to refuse to allow them to play together. 

I told him I would think about it and we will talk later.....

So Christains, what would your reation be if you found out one of your kid's friend was Pagan and from a Pagan family? Would you still let your child play with the kid? Go to their house? Spend the night? 

UPDATE:

I had to take my son to the ER last night (he's fine now) and when we got there his friend was there with his mother. They had brought a neighbor in to be seen.

We sat next to them and the mom and I started talking. Finally, I said to her that there was something I had been meaning to talk to her about. I explained that my son was worried that if she found out our spiitual beliefs that she wouldn't let the boys play together. 

She asked what we believed, and I told her we were Pagan. She had heard of Paganism but really didn't know much about it. I gave her a brief rundown and offered to explain it more in depth at my house some day, and even offered to let her borrow a couple of my books if she wanted.

She said that she didn't have a problem with it, and she was glad the boys were friends. She said my son was a good influence on hers and that my son had nothing to worry about. 

She even gave my son a hug and told him he was a great kid and she didn't care what he believed in. 

I want to thank everyone who answered honestly and respectfully even when your views were different from mine. 

Life in a Pagan Family (my blog)
http://lifeinapaganfamily.blog.com/
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Replies (291-300):
sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Bumping so can find this later.

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I don't know much about either of those religions. However I think that they actually do the mind control thing with some sort of drug.

Anyone that tries to get control of other people's  minds scares the crap out of me. I watched a documentery not long ago on Jonestown. All those people killing their children and themselves on one man's say so....Also I remember Waco. I remember watching it on TV and thinking about all of those kids....

I can't understand how anyone can let themselves be so controlled by another.

Quoting MicheleJM:

The idea of using magic and animal sacrifices in Santeria.  The idea of being able to harm or control people through magic or portions in Voodoo. Serpent and the Rainbow stuff.  It scares me.  Santeria doesn't bother me so much actually but Voodoo does.

Quoting Piskie:

What's wrong with Vodou or Santeria?

Quoting MicheleJM:

I wouldn't care, I don't think most of the people I know would either.  But there are a few that would be bothered and try to convert you.  I don't associate with those people myself.  As long as someone is not practicing Santeria, Voodoo, anything involving animal sacrifices or trying to convert me I'm cool.

Life in a Pagan Family (my blog)
http://lifeinapaganfamily.blog.com/
MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Yes I know someone who nearly got herself unwittingly involved in some Christian like cult.  She was lonely in a new town, looking for friends.  She said she got out because they tried to cut her off from her "non-religious" family.  But they didn't want to let her go, it was a struggle.  Then she told me about a Pentacostal church she was invited to that did snake handling. If you are not bitten it means you're "right with God" Sure.  She was out of there.  These people apparently never heard the bible saying about "Don't test your God".  Jesus says that to Satan during his temptations. I'm Catholic.  Catholics are all about guilt and sin lol so I don't want to test the theory of whether or not I'm right with God.  I can imagine God at that moment "If she's that stupid to handle a poisonous snake she deserves to be called home". LOL 

Quoting wrensong:

I don't know much about either of those religions. However I think that they actually do the mind control thing with some sort of drug.

Anyone that tries to get control of other people's  minds scares the crap out of me. I watched a documentery not long ago on Jonestown. All those people killing their children and themselves on one man's say so....Also I remember Waco. I remember watching it on TV and thinking about all of those kids....

Quoting MicheleJM:

The idea of using magic and animal sacrifices in Santeria.  The idea of being able to harm or control people through magic or portions in Voodoo. Serpent and the Rainbow stuff.  It scares me.  Santeria doesn't bother me so much actually but Voodoo does.

Quoting Piskie:

Quoting MicheleJM:

I wouldn't care, I don't think most of the people I know would either.  But there are a few that would be bothered and try to convert you.  I don't associate with those people myself.  As long as someone is not practicing Santeria, Voodoo, anything involving animal sacrifices or trying to convert me I'm cool.

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM

No, Santeria doesn't used drugs/mind control. I know several people of the Sanitarian religion. Their animal sacrifices are also misunderstood. In fact when FL started to go after Sanitarians for animal cruelty, a Jewish rights legal group represented them and won.  The animals are treated extremely well, and killed quickly and in almost every case, the animal is eaten afterward.

Quoting wrensong:

Quoting MicheleJM:

Quoting Piskie:

Quoting MicheleJM:

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Oh and I'm a Pagan (Wiccan) living in the bible belt. I've had some very good experiences and some very bad ones with Christians when it is discovered that I am not a Christian. Instead of typing it all out again I'm going to c/p a survey I filled out on YA 2 years ago:

Amount of years dealing with wicca: 8
Job: Homemaker

Do you still think that there is still religious intolerance involving the wicca religion?(poll style)
(Answer yes, no or maybe/don't know for a numerical count): Yes

Why do you think there is/is not religious intolerance from personal experience? Yes, from personal experience

Can you describe a situation of religious intolerance from personal experience?
I have 2 experiences:
The first one was with a local inclusive homeschool group. There was a conversation on our yahoo group about setting up several clubs/classes for the upcoming yr. Someone suggested a drama club. I was very interested in the club for my daughter.

A new member of the group chimed in that the drama club would be the perfect for Christian fellowship and to instill Christian values in our children.

Several of us pointed out that the group was secular and I stated that I am pagan. This woman said that inclusive just meant nondenominational and that of course it was a Christian group. She said that she knew someone in the group that was Christian and that her friend would not risk the lives and souls of her children by having them around non-Christians. She basically went on and on that pagans would rape kill and sacrifice their children and that something had to be done about us being in the group.

Within minutes of her message a member of the group’s board called me to assure me that they had banned her from the group and were calling her to tell her that she was not welcomed at any of our events and would be removed if she showed up.

The second incident involves Girl Scouts. The first I knew about the problem was an incident that involved the grandmother of 3 girls that used to be in our troop. She happened to have a box of Girl Scout cookies on her desk and a customer started a conversation. When the person found out what troop the grandchildren are in the person said something like “Oh you mean the troop that lets witches in”. I don’t know what all was said but I have been told it got pretty nasty and the grandmother took up for me. About a year later I found out that the mother of a girl that used to be in our troop went around complaining that I was allowed to become a leader and that non-Christians shouldn’t be allowed to volunteer. I guess I showed her. Not only am I still a leader, but I also hold 3 positions on the service unit team.

Can you describe a situation of religious tolerance?
This is actually how the mother in the 2nd incident found out that we are not Christian.
I accidentally outed myself to all the parents in my daughter's girl scout troop.

The leaders had known for a long time that I am Wiccan but none of the other Christian parents knew. Several of the girls were working on their Protestant religious award and DD wanted to earn her religious award too. I found the Over the moon Award that is offered by Coven of the Goddess in CA.

In my excitement, instead of sending the link to the leaders, I sent it to the parents list. I immediately posted something like "well looks like I just jumped out of the broom closet by accident. Then I posted a few links about my branch of Wicca. The responses I received were all very supportive and to my surprise, no one changed how they treated me or my daughter (with the exception of the mother mentioned above who apparently talked very bad about me behind my back).

Do you keep your way of life secret and why/why not? For the most part I keep it secret until I’ve known someone for a long time.

How do you think those who claim to be Wicca might produce a negative stereotype, if you can describe a situation from your own experience?
In real life I cannot think of anything. I see several examples here on YA every day. Things like “I’m wiccan and I need a love spell to make this guy fall in love with me”. Usually it is some teenager that thinks that witchcraft and Wicca are the same thing.

Do you think intolerance is more age orientated, why or why not? In general I’ve found younger people tend to be more accepting, but I also find them to be too influenced by the pop culture idea of what Wicca is.
Piskie
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
You are totally wrong about Vodou. Whats on the tv is totally wrong.
What do you think you know about it?

Quoting MicheleJM:

Quoting Piskie:

Quoting MicheleJM:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Piskie
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
You're wrong. There's no such thing as mind controlling drugs in Vodou.
What do you think you know and would you like to learn?

Quoting wrensong:

Quoting MicheleJM:

Quoting Piskie:

Quoting MicheleJM:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Not that wikipedia is always 100 percent right but in it's essay on Haitian vodou it states that bokur can be priests or socerers that can use both white and  dark magic.  It went on to say that they can use things like poison from a puffer fish or other substances to create zombies. Is that true? IDK.  These bokur often ARE not accepted by the main mambo or temple.  I already know the Serpent and the Rainbow was fictional.  Now how much of that is practiced today Idk.  I also read in Wikipedia that during their religious services they believe they can be possessed by spirits that act through them.  Like witnessing Pentacostals speaking in "tongues", the idea makes me uncomfortable. I went to a faith healing (I didn't know it was going to happen) and left because I was not comfortable with seeing people pass out from the "Holy Spirit". Mass hysteria I call it.  Let's say that I won't forbid my child from playing with someone whose family practices Vodu or even someone who claims to speak in tongues. These people, outside of church, seem as normal as you and me. Just don't expect to see me there at Sunday services. Nevertheless I thank you because I learned something and will read more about it.

Quoting Piskie:

Quoting MicheleJM:

Quoting Piskie:

Quoting MicheleJM:

loisl25
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I don't know. If they weren't trying to paganize my kid I don't think I'd have a problem. LOL 'paganize'...

Piskie
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

A pleasure. My ex partner was from Haiti, so i know a lot about it lol. For a white woman anyway.

No, no one makes zombies. Some toxins can cause a change in brain chemistry, allowing you to experience reality through different eyes, in a different way to gain another perspective. Zombies don't exist...

It's a hard concept to get across the 'posession'. You could call it posession, or you could call it an aspect of your personality you need to get closer too. The Lwas have many different ways to help and guide. The 'posession' is more of a gift to the Lwas for all they do.... They help us, guide us.... So we share our physical form. They all had one once. So they get to drink, smoke, eat.... whatever they want to do lol.

They all have family, so they help us to help their families too.

Ezili Danto was one that my partners mother used to work with. Ezili posessed a preist before a huge uprising in Haiti... She's considered 'evil'.... but she's not. She gave people the strength, courage and rage to fight their opressors. She's known as the single mother with a knife. In a country which is so tough to even survive in, She's an inspiration. She's who you call on to feel Her strength. That's how they share their personality and attributes with us. So we can feel them.

The western ideal of good and evil doesn't really apply here.

Quoting MicheleJM:

Not that wikipedia is always 100 percent right but in it's essay on Haitian vodou it states that bokur can be priests or socerers that can use both white and  dark magic.  It went on to say that they can use things like poison from a puffer fish or other substances to create zombies. Is that true? IDK.  These bokur often ARE not accepted by the main mambo or temple.  I already know the Serpent and the Rainbow was fictional.  Now how much of that is practiced today Idk.  I also read in Wikipedia that during their religious services they believe they can be possessed by spirits that act through them.  Like witnessing Pentacostals speaking in "tongues", the idea makes me uncomfortable. I went to a faith healing (I didn't know it was going to happen) and left because I was not comfortable with seeing people pass out from the "Holy Spirit". Mass hysteria I call it.  Let's say that I won't forbid my child from playing with someone whose family practices Vodu or even someone who claims to speak in tongues. These people, outside of church, seem as normal as you and me. Just don't expect to see me there at Sunday services. Nevertheless I thank you because I learned something and will read more about it.

Quoting Piskie:

Quoting MicheleJM:

Quoting Piskie:

Quoting MicheleJM:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN