Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Christians, would you let your kid have a Pagan friend? UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

My family and I are openly Pagan. 

My kids are allowed to learn about and even follow different religious or spiritual paths if they so choose.

My 13 yr old is quite Pagan. He gave a talk on it in Boy Scouts a few years ago, and  he wears a Pentacle necklace all the time. 

Most of his friends are either Pagan or their parents are good friends of mine who know we are Pagan.

We recently moved to a new neighborhood and he met a boy who is also 13. The boys have become best friends and are frequently at each other's houses.

Not long ago, his friend made the comment "Wow your family really likes that star in a circle..You all must be from Texas?" My son looked confused and then said "We lived in Corpus Christi for awhile" (we did)

Then the boys went off to ride bikes....

Later, my son asked me if he should tell his friend that we are Pagan and what the star in a circle really is. I asked him why he was concerned and he said that his friend's family is very Christian and has pictures of Jesus around the house and go to church all the time and he didn't want them to refuse to allow them to play together. 

I told him I would think about it and we will talk later.....

So Christains, what would your reation be if you found out one of your kid's friend was Pagan and from a Pagan family? Would you still let your child play with the kid? Go to their house? Spend the night? 

UPDATE:

I had to take my son to the ER last night (he's fine now) and when we got there his friend was there with his mother. They had brought a neighbor in to be seen.

We sat next to them and the mom and I started talking. Finally, I said to her that there was something I had been meaning to talk to her about. I explained that my son was worried that if she found out our spiitual beliefs that she wouldn't let the boys play together. 

She asked what we believed, and I told her we were Pagan. She had heard of Paganism but really didn't know much about it. I gave her a brief rundown and offered to explain it more in depth at my house some day, and even offered to let her borrow a couple of my books if she wanted.

She said that she didn't have a problem with it, and she was glad the boys were friends. She said my son was a good influence on hers and that my son had nothing to worry about. 

She even gave my son a hug and told him he was a great kid and she didn't care what he believed in. 

I want to thank everyone who answered honestly and respectfully even when your views were different from mine. 

Life in a Pagan Family (my blog)
http://lifeinapaganfamily.blog.com/
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Replies (341-343):
wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Yes, it sounds like something dark did find you.That happens to Christians too.

There are things that Pagans do to ward those things away and to protect agaisnt them too.

However if turning to the Christian God was what was right for you, then that's what you needed to do.

I myself went to a strict Baptist school for 5 years. It just was not for me.

Quoting TinDoll:

I was raised very strict baptist, went to a baptist school where drums were the instrument of the devil, had it drilled "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live", and that anyone who didn't believe in Christ was going to hell; this included Catholics because they worshiped idols in the form of the saints. I asked too many hard questions and was asked to leave in the middle of my 7th grade year. 

Went to public school and during the summers attended college courses for a pre-engineering program. There I was exposed to my first tarot cards and wicca/paganism. I adopted these things, I was very interested and had an aptitude for the cards and laying spreads. I dove head first and thought, "here's what I've been missing!" I was wrong.

I don't know what exactly I was into. Didn't do animal sacrifice or pray to the devil, everything was nature based, and no there were no "love" potions or anything. Mostly is was about bolstering positive energy in myself. I don't know what happened but I guess I opened myself up to some very negative things. I would be playing my piano when I would "feel" someone behind me. Look and no-one was there, but when I'd turn back it would feel like I'd been hit in the back with a metal rod. My sis and multiple friends all had independent stories of waking up at night and seeing a black figure, best they could describe was a grim reaper thing, hovering over me while I slept. I turned from these practices when I'd wake at night and could see phantoms and demons and instinctively I recited the scriptures that had been drilled into my head and it drove them back. But I kept all my pages and cards for memorabilia.

I "got right with God" and that's when I started feeling almost irrisitable urge to pick up my carsd again. But somehow I felt that if I did it again, I'd be lost forever. So I put all of it into a metal barel, doused it with gasoline and watched it burn for a good 30 mins. I put the fire out and NOTHING WAS BURNED!  Scared the fuck out of me. So I started burning them one by one and anytime I stopped praying and asking help from God, the pages would stop burning or refuse to light. (And this was plain old notebook paper and cardboard). 

I still feel the draw of some of these things but I stay away from them because GOd is my protector and has kept the things that tormented me at bay. I won't say anyone who uses it is evil but it was evil for me. I wouldn't judge you but I'd be scared that my dd being exposed to that would help whatever had found me once to find her and my family again. after a year it's redundant but off the bat? I'd be hesitant, not because of your self but because of what it could mean for my family.

Life in a Pagan Family (my blog)
http://lifeinapaganfamily.blog.com/
Charmedby3
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Why would u say this?

Quoting Anonymous:

I feel sry for your kids.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TinDoll
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Oh I agree! LOL I'm not a church goer now because I hate the dead churches and the hypocrisy. I have faith not religion and the places I feel most at peace and where I pray when troubled are still in BFE away from civilization. Like I said I have no problem with your religion I'm just afraid that being around it will help whatever it was find us again. If that wasn't the case I'd have absolutely ZERO issue with hanging out myself. :) Y'all seem like wonderful people and from what's been written here your son is an excellent young man. I hope that his friend's parents are understanding. Also, like I said, if after a year I found out, obviously my fears would have no basis and I'd feel pretty stupid. But ya know the prevention/cure adage.

Quoting wrensong:

Yes, it sounds like something dark did find you.That happens to Christians too.

There are things that Pagans do to ward those things away and to protect agaisnt them too.

However if turning to the Christian God was what was right for you, then that's what you needed to do.

I myself went to a strict Baptist school for 5 years. It just was not for me.

Quoting TinDoll:

I was raised very strict baptist, went to a baptist school where drums were the instrument of the devil, had it drilled "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live", and that anyone who didn't believe in Christ was going to hell; this included Catholics because they worshiped idols in the form of the saints. I asked too many hard questions and was asked to leave in the middle of my 7th grade year. 

Went to public school and during the summers attended college courses for a pre-engineering program. There I was exposed to my first tarot cards and wicca/paganism. I adopted these things, I was very interested and had an aptitude for the cards and laying spreads. I dove head first and thought, "here's what I've been missing!" I was wrong.

I don't know what exactly I was into. Didn't do animal sacrifice or pray to the devil, everything was nature based, and no there were no "love" potions or anything. Mostly is was about bolstering positive energy in myself. I don't know what happened but I guess I opened myself up to some very negative things. I would be playing my piano when I would "feel" someone behind me. Look and no-one was there, but when I'd turn back it would feel like I'd been hit in the back with a metal rod. My sis and multiple friends all had independent stories of waking up at night and seeing a black figure, best they could describe was a grim reaper thing, hovering over me while I slept. I turned from these practices when I'd wake at night and could see phantoms and demons and instinctively I recited the scriptures that had been drilled into my head and it drove them back. But I kept all my pages and cards for memorabilia.

I "got right with God" and that's when I started feeling almost irrisitable urge to pick up my carsd again. But somehow I felt that if I did it again, I'd be lost forever. So I put all of it into a metal barel, doused it with gasoline and watched it burn for a good 30 mins. I put the fire out and NOTHING WAS BURNED!  Scared the fuck out of me. So I started burning them one by one and anytime I stopped praying and asking help from God, the pages would stop burning or refuse to light. (And this was plain old notebook paper and cardboard). 

I still feel the draw of some of these things but I stay away from them because GOd is my protector and has kept the things that tormented me at bay. I won't say anyone who uses it is evil but it was evil for me. I wouldn't judge you but I'd be scared that my dd being exposed to that would help whatever had found me once to find her and my family again. after a year it's redundant but off the bat? I'd be hesitant, not because of your self but because of what it could mean for my family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN