Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The family of the single survivor of the sandy hook shooting is trying to sue the state of CT

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
For the amount of 100 million dollars for failing to protect the students from "foreseeable harm".

I sympathize with the survivor and her family 100%, but I'm not sure that the state could have foreseen or prevented this at all. Wouldn't the proper person to sue be the shooters family?

Update- I was watching the news last night and they were talking to the attorney that is representing this case (who looks like a doofus btw). He made a comment about there being other families that sue as well, and some of them will be represented by HIM, which leads me to believe that this scum bucket reached out to all the families in an effort to try to make money off of this tragedy. When asked what the state could have done differently to prevent this his only example was that the school should have been built architecturally different to better protect the children. Huh?? I'm disgusted. It's only been 2 weeks. Can't these families grieve without having attorneys trying to make money off of them!?!?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Replies (291-300):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I think the person that should have been sued was the shooters mother. In a way, she's kind of lucky that she's not alive to see this all unfolding : /

Quoting lilmoosesmom:

I would sue the shooters father. Not the state.

She would be in jail if she was alive.  And I would bet her estate goes not to her surviving son (who should get it) but to lawsuits or lawyers fees.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Quoting briansmommy2010:

Not sure where you're getting your info, but CT has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. And maybe you haven't been paying attention, but the shooter stole the guns from his mother (that she owned legally).

Quoting Bonita131:

The state like most states has lax rules on firearms.  It's no suprise the family is suing the state as it is up to the state to have better gun control. The family would still have two children instead of one if it wasn't for a nutcase having easy access to guns. Someone has to pay for that carelessness.   

Baha-you can't even BUY a handgun in CT without a pistol permit-which requires taking a course, a test and proving proficency-then you get a town permit (8 weeks) and then a state permit 2 weeks. Adam wouldn't have qualified because he wasn't even OLD enough.  There is a background check for long guns also-and a wait period.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Exactly. This is why he was DENIED a gun when he tried to purchase one himself. Some people have not been following the details of this story very well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting briansmommy2010:

Not sure where you're getting your info, but CT has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. And maybe you haven't been paying attention, but the shooter stole the guns from his mother (that she owned legally).

Quoting Bonita131:

The state like most states has lax rules on firearms.  It's no suprise the family is suing the state as it is up to the state to have better gun control. The family would still have two children instead of one if it wasn't for a nutcase having easy access to guns. Someone has to pay for that carelessness.   

Baha-you can't even BUY a handgun in CT without a pistol permit-which requires taking a course, a test and proving proficency-then you get a town permit (8 weeks) and then a state permit 2 weeks. Adam wouldn't have qualified because he wasn't even OLD enough.  There is a background check for long guns also-and a wait period.

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:45 AM
that's disgusting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly. This is why he was DENIED a gun when he tried to purchase one himself. Some people have not been following the details of this story very well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting briansmommy2010:

Quoting Bonita131:

He wasn't denied-he simply wasn';t able to purchase a handgun-he didn't have a permit and wasn't of age. He would have had to wait 14 days and pass a background check before being able to buy any other kind of gun.  And assault rifles were banned in CT in 1993. Only if you owned one prior to that-and registered it-could you have one.

Oh and carrying a loaded rifle in a car is illegal and carrying it on school grounds is also illegal.

Newsflash-criminals don't obey the laws.

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM
You gave to consider how these things work. They can sue for what ever they want. That doesn't mean they expect that much or even want it. They picked an amount that will get peoples attn and cover legal fees. And it worked. They can....and it was probably their intention...negotiate different terms outside of court. Terms that include law changes. But everyone just jumps on the oh they are sue happy band wagon and never considers that this IS how we make things change.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree I still think asking that much is ducking insane though.

Quoting teri4lance:

Every single gun free zone has the responsibility to provide security for said defenseless people. I think this could be the first step in either removing gun free zones or provide adequate protection in them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Derp derp ...... so literal, are we? Do you really think I meant a guard needs to be sitting there at 1 am Sunday morning. Cmon. Lets put our thinking caps on.

Quoting Anonymous:

Every school in America to have armed guard 24/7... what!? Totally impossible. 24/7. So at midnight there is going to be some dude sitting there armed outside of a dark school? It doesn't matter what you do to protect, if someone wants to shoot, they will still try. And no way is 100% effective, they can and will find a way.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with them. And if they get the money they should fund all the schools of America to have armed guards on duty 24/7

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:20 PM
I am completely against frivolous lawsuits. However, we need to step up as a country and take better care of our mentally ill, including monitoring them. Gun laws and security is not the way to stop this.

I used to work for a man that is schizophrenic. When he was on his meds he was nice, but obviously screwed up. He started drinking a lot. Then he stopped taking his meds. Then he started threatening to shoot people. He told the people who hired me, that if anyone came to his house, he would shoot them. They tried getting police involved. They said they couldn't do anything. They tried getting adult protective services imvolved. They said they couldn't do anything. So what happens if he follows through and shoots and kills people? We need a better way to handle these situations and prevent tragedies. If these people are able to get that to happen, more power to them. I hope it is not about money, though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:26 PM
2 moms liked this

I have said this, before, about other deaths and received a lot of backlash (not on here, IRL).  The parents who actually LOST their children, you don't see them running to a lawyer demanding millions.  Maybe they will, in the future, who knows.  I just can't see myself capitalizing off of my child going through something like this.  Yes, I can see demanding for medical/therapists bills to be paid.  And for those families who lost a child, funeral expenses.  But, I cannot see how 100 million dollars is going to make this child unsee what she saw that day. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Yes. One little girl, whose name has not been released, played dead. She literally laid in a pile with her dead classmates until she thought it was safe. Then she was the first to run out of the building. Her words to her mother were, "I'm ok Mommy but all my friends are dead."
My heart breaks for her and what she endured.

Quoting autiemama516:

I didn't know anyone survived. I have been thinking of this a lot lately and have been praying for them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)