Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The family of the single survivor of the sandy hook shooting is trying to sue the state of CT

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
For the amount of 100 million dollars for failing to protect the students from "foreseeable harm".

I sympathize with the survivor and her family 100%, but I'm not sure that the state could have foreseen or prevented this at all. Wouldn't the proper person to sue be the shooters family?

Update- I was watching the news last night and they were talking to the attorney that is representing this case (who looks like a doofus btw). He made a comment about there being other families that sue as well, and some of them will be represented by HIM, which leads me to believe that this scum bucket reached out to all the families in an effort to try to make money off of this tragedy. When asked what the state could have done differently to prevent this his only example was that the school should have been built architecturally different to better protect the children. Huh?? I'm disgusted. It's only been 2 weeks. Can't these families grieve without having attorneys trying to make money off of them!?!?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:43 PM

That's the other thing... if they sue and win, then that means 20 other families should be able to sue and win MORE. The families that have spoken to the media seem so humble, I wonder if they had even considered going that route. 

Quoting illinoismommy83:

People like to sue. People sue all of the time over stupid shit and the case is thrown out. Out of all of the families, theirs really doesn't have much of a claim.

Kinda seems like a slap in the face to the other families. :/ My kid survived and I want millions.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Sue happy people are just as bad as murderers, imo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:43 PM
She wasn't a teacher. Yet another media fail. She volunteered at the school.

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

His mother was a teacher there, but there is still no way they could have known.

Quoting dmarie2101:

i think this is stupid. at least for the reasons named. adam lanza had no connection to the school, right? so how could anyone have known?

mstkn.identity
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM
Wow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SB2217
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM
Yeah, I doubt she can ever get past that although I pray she does.
Apparently, she fell to the ground and played dead. She saw the shooter who she described as a" very angry man". When he left and she thought it was safe she got up and ran outside covered in blood from head to toe (not her blood). She told her mom all her friends were dead. I can't even begin to imagine. Last thing I read was that she was feeling guilty that she was the only one that survived. Poor girl. I hope somehow she can get fast this trauma and her family should be so thankful she survived.

Quoting autiemama516:

Quoting SB2217:

A little girl survived by "playing dead".

Quoting autiemama516:

I didn't know anyone survived. I have been thinking of this a lot lately and have been praying for them. 

Oh dear I never heard that. She will never be right mentally. I will pray for her.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM
2 moms liked this

It is not "foreseeable" that some dumb@ss would take guns to the school and proceed to shoot people.  The state does not have a duty to protect its citizens from every possible harm.  His surviving family is not responsible either - they did not have any control over his actions.  The shooter is the ONLY one who is responsible for what he did.  The proper person to sue would be the shooter, or his estate, period.  It's really sad how quickly grief turns to greed in situations like this.

AngelRT
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM
Good for them! Maybe they will make sure to do more to protect our kids at school!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LyTe684:

Why? I'd love to hear their reasoning.

http://news.yahoo.com/claim-seeks-100-million-child-survivor-connecticut-school-003646074.html

Sorry if it's not clicky. Mobile

Wicked.Jester
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Don't talk about my child getting shot.....thats disgusting and uncalled for.  "When my kid gets shot?"   What an entirely fucked up thing to say.

And newsflash dumbass, more kids die in auto accidents in ONE YEAR than have died in school shootings in THE LAST 50 YEARS.....so you'd better not let your kid in a car again, ever.

Quoting Anonymous:

This country is so fucked up. No, I'm not kidding. They are sitting ducks. You'll be singing a different tune when your kid gets shot and killed by some crazy kid. We have armed guards on Atm and money trucks, but not our children. 20 years ago, we didn't need it. Now, we do. Yes, I'm serious. But feel free to make sure your kid sacrifices himself for other kids who have parents that do want their kids protected. Mkay.

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

You are kidding right?  I don't want armed guards at my kids school because ONE idiot shoots up ONE school.  MILLIONS of children went to school that day and came home safely.

Bad things do happen, but I don't want my children living in constant fear of something that has less chance of happening than getting struck by lightening.   And statistically, that is absolutely the case.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with them. And if they get the money they should fund all the schools of America to have armed guards on duty 24/7

ausomezombie2.0
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:45 PM
:-/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN