Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fibromyalgia

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 88 Replies
Anyone suffer from this?

How long have you had it? What helps you alleviate the pain and symptoms?

After months of muscle and joint pain I was diagnosed with fibro yesterday. Now I know some people think its a bullshit diagnosis and not real, but at this point I'm glad to have any diagnosis instead of doctors thinking I'm a crazy lady or seeking meds.

I haven't been sleeping well, and the doctor said lack of sleep can make symptoms worse. So he prescribed Flexeril to help muscle pain and to help sleep..it knocked me out for four hours but then I woke up every hour after that.

I use heat when I can and that helps some.

Does anyone have some words of wisdom?
& please, if you don't have nothing nice to say, exit the post. I'm emotionally and physically exhausted, I'm sleep deprived, and always in pain. I don't have the patience at the moment to deal with hated and ignorance.

Thanks.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucilleGray29
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:33 AM
Ugh, poor you.I feel your pain.I've been diagnosed since 2007 :( It's hard I have 2 kids 5 and 3.There is a Fibro support group on here you should join gentle hugs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrsbrand
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:35 AM

My sissy has it. She has some really bad flares and hers is a really severe case.  She has a consistent problem with doctors thinking she is an addict because there are no outward signs of the ilness. I hope you can find a pain management plan that is effective for you. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Quoting LucilleGray29:

Ugh, poor you.I feel your pain.I've been diagnosed since 2007 :( It's hard I have 2 kids 5 and 3.There is a Fibro support group on here you should join gentle hugs

The Fibro Sisters? I just joined that one. And Idk how you do it with 2 kids! I have a hard enough time with my one! Well, maybe after we get the symptoms under control it will be easier. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Quoting mrsbrand:

My sissy has it. She has some really bad flares and hers is a really severe case.  She has a consistent problem with doctors thinking she is an addict because there are no outward signs of the ilness. I hope you can find a pain management plan that is effective for you. 

Right? A couple weeks ago SO made me go to urgent care because I was in so much pain. I could harly walk. My fingers were swollen, my toes were swollen, my ankles were swollen. And the Urgent Care doctor treated me like I was someone who was looking to score some drugs, she didn't even look me over at all. I left in tears, and in just as much pain as when I went in. I'm glad I finally found a doctor who would LISTEN to me. 

Do you know what your sister does to help manage it? I'm wanting to go as natural as possible, but I read that you have to be careful with supplementing when you have fibromyalgia. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:50 PM
2 moms liked this

I urge you to build a very close relationship with your doctor and do lots of testing. Many people get the diagnosis and then attribute every thing that happens after to fibro, when subsequent problems can be something else entirely different. Good luck mama, hope you can find a plan that works well for you!

KeimUNCmomof3
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Yes, I was diagnosed in 1996 (16 years old) after a guy at a massage parlor in the mall karate chopped my spine REALLY hard.  I believe he caused the fibromyalgia.  Although, my Aunt has been diagnosed with it, but later in her life...so maybe I would have had it since it may be hereditary but also I've read that trauma to the spine can cause it too.  

Exercise, eating healthy, hot tub.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I've had Fibro since 2003 and it's tough. I take Naproxsen for the pain. Not much help, stress can aggrivate it. Try to rest, but get some excercise also that helps.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I urge you to build a very close relationship with your doctor and do lots of testing. Many people get the diagnosis and then attribute every thing that happens after to fibro, when subsequent problems can be something else entirely different. Good luck mama, hope you can find a plan that works well for you!

He said that he does want to do a sleep study, to rule out sleep apnea. But that at the moment he feels confident in my diagnosis. I really liked him. He is the first doctor in ..4 years that has actually LISTENED to me and answered my questions. I just hope he doesn't retire on me, he is older.. and all my "older" doctors have retured. -_- 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this
This could be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Ever.

Quoting KeimUNCmomof3:

Yes, I was diagnosed in 1996 (16 years old) after a guy at a massage parlor in the mall karate chopped my spine REALLY hard.  I believe he caused the fibromyalgia.  Although, my Aunt has been diagnosed with it, but later in her life...so maybe I would have had it since it may be hereditary but also I've read that trauma to the spine can cause it too.  

Exercise, eating healthy, hot tub.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I've had Fibro since 2003 and it's tough. I take Naproxsen for the pain. Not much help, stress can aggrivate it. Try to rest, but get some excercise also that helps.

Yeah, I was given Naproxen a few weeks ago, because my joints were hurting, but it didn't help at all. I'm super stressed & anxious all the time, so I'm hoping if we can get that under control it'll help as well. I do physical therapy twice a week, and thats about as much exercising as I'm getting right now because I'm just too exhuasted and hurting to do anything else. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN