Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

knocking vs just walking in the house...

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:24 PM
  • 28 Replies

ok, this sounds like a good place to get some opinions haha.

whenever my dad comes over he just walks in. no knock or anything.  i invited him christmas eve, got a "maybe" and as i was about to start dinner i went to check my phone to see if he had texted or called and BAM the door opens... dh literally jumped, i stopped in my tracks and my MIL got scared... it was my dad barging in, turning off dh's music... like, WOAH, glad i was about to make dinner cause it all just made me uncomfortable.

he does that everytime he comes over, unless we lock the door or open it before he gets to it.

when i go to his house, i knock, open the door and yell, hey its me!!! i rarely go uninvited.  but this was the house i grew up in... and I would never just walk through the door without making my presence known.

how would you handle this? it drives dh CRAZY.  it annoys me.  but im HORRIBLE at saying stuff haha.

pregnancy due date

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM

My Dad does the same thing, which is why we always lock the front door. It's the only way to keep him from just barging in to the house uninvited. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Well you do it, so he probably feels just as comfortable doing it at your home. It doesn't matter WHERE the home is, just WHO lives there (you are his daughter). My parents and in laws are always welcome to just walk in. I just walk in to their homes too. There is no need to knock for immediate family around here.

BluePandaDreams
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:30 PM
It's all about comfort levels. We just walk in my mom's house. It's the same way at hubbie's dad's house. And reason why we keep the door locked. The relatives tend to just walk into each other's houses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Lock your doors.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM

People don't lock doors anymore?.. God forbid that next time someone just walks in they aren't there to kill you all..

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I'd just flat out tell him he needs to knock.

Our neighbor tried to pull that crap one time. Dh told him the next time he did it he'd have a glock pointed in his face when he walked through. The guy never came over again. lol Can't say I missed him.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Now my kids they just walk in even if the door is locked they just use their key even though the older 2 have never lived in this house we bought 2 years ago.  Now i would never do that to them IDK just seems rude for me to pop in but I don't mind at all that they do it to me.  ?????

ohmandy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:36 PM

i knock and announce myself, he just walks right in... plus he has a foyer area and with us you walk right into the livingroom.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Well you do it, so he probably feels just as comfortable doing it at your home. It doesn't matter WHERE the home is, just WHO lives there (you are his daughter). My parents and in laws are always welcome to just walk in. I just walk in to their homes too. There is no need to knock for immediate family around here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I just walk into my parents house. they knock on my door but not because i asked them too. 

if it bothers you have you spoken to him about it yet? it could just be 'normal' for him. 

1likeme
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:38 PM
I would lock my door after I asked him why the fuck he barged in without so much as a knock.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN