Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fear of dogs/cats?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:00 AM
  • 9 Replies

I don't understand why people that were "attacked" by an animal when they were younger would make them fear all types of that animal later on in life? Can someone try to explain the reasoning behind the fear a bit more in depth?

My brother was bit by a dog and had to have a lot of stitches in his arm. The dog was going after me and would have got my face due to the height level, but my brother was able to step in and put his arm up to save me {I was 3-4 years old} and the dog got my brother instead. I don't remember how they got the dog off or away from us but my brother isn't scared of dogs, he loves them. It was just that one dog, not all dogs.

I was bit by a dog on my arm while I was petting it {a "trusted" family member's dog and she had a son younger than me at the time it happened}. I was gently rubbing the back of the dog's neck and he turned and bit me. I remember it was cold because I had a coat on, but there wasn't snow, the dog got my wrist through my coat and I could feel the pressure of his teeth but he wasn't biting hard enough to sink through just yet before my cousin was able to get him away from me. She got rid of the dog for fear of her own son after that. I am not scared of dogs, in fact I love dogs very very much!!!

I also have been scratched and bit by cats many times in my life, many times were by my own provoking since I was a wild one when I was younger lol. I used to crawl around acting like I was a dog or cat myself and tried to get a kitten from under my grandmother's bed, and the momma cat came and protected her kitten from me because I was acting like I was growling and scratching at it like a dog {I couldn't even reach the kitten though}, and the momma scratched me on my face and hissed at me. I still love cats!

I've been bit by a hamster so much that I had to have 2 stitches in my finger. I love hamsters.

Sorry for the long details but I just don't understand the underlying fears.

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Jers.
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:05 AM

I've been around dogs my whole life, but was attacked by a dalmation when I was 10 - He bit half of my face off.  I volunteer with pits, had rotties, dobies and gsds, but will never go near another dalmation as long as I live.  As soon as I see one, I start spazzing.

Yes, it's irrational and I realize that, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:05 AM

I don't know why.  I had nightmares often when I was a child of being chased and bitten by dogs and was very afraid of all dogs.  My niece nearly lost her arm to a neighbor's dog when she was young, has big, gnarly scars and a chunk missing on her arm, but she has never been afraid of any dogs.  It doesn't bother me that some people are afraid and others are not. Why does it matter?

StoneColdKiller
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:08 AM
My son was attacked by our dog which we basically had given to our son they did everything together. One day out of nowhere she a cracks him in the face. It was out other dog that stopped the attack by attacking her and then running off. My son had so much blood coming out of his mouth she got his mouth cheeks and throat. It was a mess once cleaned up and stitched it was just bruises everywhere and lots of little teeth cuts.

My son was 3 he is now 5 and he can't be close to a animal with fur we had to give up our 2nd dog cause of it. He loves to watch dogs but he will scream if one gets near him. Not sure if he will ever out grow the fear.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TigressLily
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:11 AM

It doesn't bother me if someone is afraid, but I have seen and heard a lot of people saying it is because they were attacked when they were younger, and I want to understand why, what causes that fear to arise so badly? I didn't mean anything rude by this post I am just curious because I have been attacked and so has my brother and we have no fears of the animals we've been attacked by so I don't understand it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know why.  I had nightmares often when I was a child of being chased and bitten by dogs and was very afraid of all dogs.  My niece nearly lost her arm to a neighbor's dog when she was young, has big, gnarly scars and a chunk missing on her arm, but she has never been afraid of any dogs.  It doesn't bother me that some people are afraid and others are not. Why does it matter?

TigressLily
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Now, as far as only being afraid of one breed that's different. Even though all individual beings of the breed still yet are different, I have known quite a few dalmatians to be very mean, meaner than anyone could imagine a pit bull to be. I meant as far as like 1 dog biting someone and they become terrified of all dogs kind of thing though. Not sure how else to word this but is your face okay? I'm sorry that happened to you. I can't even remember what type of dog it was, might have been a mutt, that got my brother's arm instead of my face.

Quoting Jers.:

I've been around dogs my whole life, but was attacked by a dalmation when I was 10 - He bit half of my face off.  I volunteer with pits, had rotties, dobies and gsds, but will never go near another dalmation as long as I live.  As soon as I see one, I start spazzing.

Yes, it's irrational and I realize that, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

TigressLily
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Wow. That sucks, I'm very sorry =( I can understand a baby being scared after a couple of years still, it is traumatizing I do understand that and for a baby, well I don't think they can really tell the difference of signs between a nice animal and an animal that just wants to have you for lunch. As we grow older though, at least for me, I believe that it just kind of fades into the past, like it was just a bad dream or something like that. I don't remember being scared of any other dog when my cousin's dog bit my wrist through my coat, but I wouldn't go near that dog for the rest of the day. He was made to stay outside until she could take him to a shelter. I hope your son does "outgrow" the fear.

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

My son was attacked by our dog which we basically had given to our son they did everything together. One day out of nowhere she a cracks him in the face. It was out other dog that stopped the attack by attacking her and then running off. My son had so much blood coming out of his mouth she got his mouth cheeks and throat. It was a mess once cleaned up and stitched it was just bruises everywhere and lots of little teeth cuts.

My son was 3 he is now 5 and he can't be close to a animal with fur we had to give up our 2nd dog cause of it. He loves to watch dogs but he will scream if one gets near him. Not sure if he will ever out grow the fear.

Jers.
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:20 AM

yep it's fine thanks - was a very long time ago.  The scars are only barely noticeable if I get too much sun.

The worst part was walking around with navy blue stitches for a week - I looked like Frankenstein

Quoting TigressLily:

Now, as far as only being afraid of one breed that's different. Even though all individual beings of the breed still yet are different, I have known quite a few dalmatians to be very mean, meaner than anyone could imagine a pit bull to be. I meant as far as like 1 dog biting someone and they become terrified of all dogs kind of thing though. Not sure how else to word this but is your face okay? I'm sorry that happened to you. I can't even remember what type of dog it was, might have been a mutt, that got my brother's arm instead of my face.

Quoting Jers.:

ccnstanczak
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:25 AM

i can be traumatic and cause them to not trust the animal.

i was bit on the butt by a dog when i was  a kid. i was pretty scared of dogs, especially the kind of dog the bit me. eventually i just got over it and i love dogs. Though i am cautious still and i teach my kids not to pet dogs they dont know, to always ask the owner first and to be gentle and let the dog sniff you first, and not run from dogs.

my youngest is just scared of dogs bigger than her cause they are bigger than her. she likes little dogs though. the first time she met my mil's dog, he jumped on her even though i told my mil to pick up dd before coming outside and meeting the dog. oops. ever since she wont go near him or any dog bigger than her.

TigressLily
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:29 AM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)