Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you teach your kids to hit back? *edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

So yesterday, I took my 2.5 and my 6 year old dd's out to play in one of those mall play area things. While there, my 2.5 year old was playing some sort of animal game with another little boy (who looked to be about 3) which consisted of them crawling around and growling at each other. I guess she growled at him a little too loudly becuause he decided to hit my dd. As I was about to get up, my dd stopped, sat back on her feet, had this sort of look on her face, punched that boy like he stole something, and then got back on all fours and growled again. lol. The little boy said "OUCH! THAT HURT!" got up and walked to the other side of the play area mad. His mom was there, but never said anything due to the fact that she watched it all take place. I guess I don't have to worry about my dd getting bullied, huh? lol. My kids are allowed to defend themselves and their siblings but are not allowed to start fights.  Do you ladies teach your kids to hit back?

*Edit*

I see some of you saying that your kids walk away, get an adult or they have never been in a situation to have to hit back, that's amazing. As a child, no amount of walking away, getting an adult or any of that helped the senseless teasing and bullying that I endured. There is only so much a teacher or parent can do to stop that sort of thing. It only stopped when I reached 10th grade and knocked anyone on their ass who harrassed me.  While walking away or getting an adult is the best option, it's not always an option.

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Replies (11-20):
mstricey
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:07 AM
I try. My poor ds is so oblivious and kids will hit him and he won't do anything. It pisses me off so bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mandy121907
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:08 AM

She better not be the one to start it but she is most definately "allowed" to finish it!  I was a "target" all my life and I am raising my DD to stand up for herself!

loveTHEviking
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:13 AM

This

Quoting Fields456:

They are most def allowed to defend themselves

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

No. I teach them to avoid assholes and seek help when needed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Yep. My daughter is allowed to defend herself.  At first I kept telling her YOU DO NOT HIT, but I put her in public school a few months ago (she's 6) and she started getting bullied.. I told her the first time it happens, tell the teacher.. the second time it happens and the teacher still hasn't done anything.. Punch the little a**hole in his face.  (it was a boy that kept hitting her and pushing her around)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM
You know, most schools have a policy that kids that fight get suspended/expelled whether they hit first or last...
Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM
No. My children are taught how to handle situations in ways that they have never been put in that situation.
Young_Mommy89
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Yes, I was bullied as a child & was always scared to hit back for fear of getting in trouble at home. I don't want my dd going through that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Of course. We stress the importance of not starting the fight but that we will stand behind them if it is self defense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylovey
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:54 AM

No, unless she needed to defend herself from immediate physical harm. Otherwise she knows she is to tell an adult. 

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)