Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you teach your kids to hit back? *edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

So yesterday, I took my 2.5 and my 6 year old dd's out to play in one of those mall play area things. While there, my 2.5 year old was playing some sort of animal game with another little boy (who looked to be about 3) which consisted of them crawling around and growling at each other. I guess she growled at him a little too loudly becuause he decided to hit my dd. As I was about to get up, my dd stopped, sat back on her feet, had this sort of look on her face, punched that boy like he stole something, and then got back on all fours and growled again. lol. The little boy said "OUCH! THAT HURT!" got up and walked to the other side of the play area mad. His mom was there, but never said anything due to the fact that she watched it all take place. I guess I don't have to worry about my dd getting bullied, huh? lol. My kids are allowed to defend themselves and their siblings but are not allowed to start fights.  Do you ladies teach your kids to hit back?

*Edit*

I see some of you saying that your kids walk away, get an adult or they have never been in a situation to have to hit back, that's amazing. As a child, no amount of walking away, getting an adult or any of that helped the senseless teasing and bullying that I endured. There is only so much a teacher or parent can do to stop that sort of thing. It only stopped when I reached 10th grade and knocked anyone on their ass who harrassed me.  While walking away or getting an adult is the best option, it's not always an option.

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Replies (21-30):
emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Quoting raegansmom:

She can't hit first, but she can hit last.

Head Admin of Survivors

ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I teach my kid self defense.

JOEJULA
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Hell yes. My son is in karate and I always tell them if somebody hits you first. Defend yourself no matter what. I have also told my girls to never let someone hit them. Thats awesome your DD stood up for herself.

Master_Debater
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Yes. Never hit first though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM

No, hitting is bad!  I tell my kids to not use their hands or feet, just use your words.

mich.el.le
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I don't teach my kids to hit back. If they are backed into a corner and can't get away, then they are allowed to get themselves out and to safety, but otherwise no hitting.

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

nellyb118
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Yes! I don't want my child to get pushed around so he can hit back but never start.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:59 AM

yes i did teach my kids.they know if the person hits first.hit back. my daughter was in the 6th grade.and she walked into class.and this boy was in her desk.and she asked him nicely to please move.kept on saying no.she was getting mad. she said it one more time to please move.he said no.then he got up kicked her down.she got up looked at him and just jumped on him.she gave him a busted mouth and a black eye..my daughter knows if its a girl or a boy.if they throw the first punch.throw back..now my son he is a different story.he knows the same thing.but for somereason if someone gets him mad,etc..he just walks away.but he does know if that person comes after him he knows what to do..

brebugmom91
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:59 AM
That's awesome!! And yes. If someone hits my child she it allowed to hit them back.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MaileysMommy
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:00 AM

My Dd is too young to teach her that right now. She is only 2. When she is older I will teach her to Defend herself if someone puts their hands on her. She will not get in trouble for fighting UNLESS I found out she was the one to start it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN