Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you teach your kids to hit back? *edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

So yesterday, I took my 2.5 and my 6 year old dd's out to play in one of those mall play area things. While there, my 2.5 year old was playing some sort of animal game with another little boy (who looked to be about 3) which consisted of them crawling around and growling at each other. I guess she growled at him a little too loudly becuause he decided to hit my dd. As I was about to get up, my dd stopped, sat back on her feet, had this sort of look on her face, punched that boy like he stole something, and then got back on all fours and growled again. lol. The little boy said "OUCH! THAT HURT!" got up and walked to the other side of the play area mad. His mom was there, but never said anything due to the fact that she watched it all take place. I guess I don't have to worry about my dd getting bullied, huh? lol. My kids are allowed to defend themselves and their siblings but are not allowed to start fights.  Do you ladies teach your kids to hit back?

*Edit*

I see some of you saying that your kids walk away, get an adult or they have never been in a situation to have to hit back, that's amazing. As a child, no amount of walking away, getting an adult or any of that helped the senseless teasing and bullying that I endured. There is only so much a teacher or parent can do to stop that sort of thing. It only stopped when I reached 10th grade and knocked anyone on their ass who harrassed me.  While walking away or getting an adult is the best option, it's not always an option.

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Replies (291-293):
Aleta775
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM

My dd will be allowed to defend herself if she has tried other things first. If she tires to walk away, or getting an adult does not work, then I think she has every right to defend herself. I was bullied as a child, and I know that ignoring a bully is not always a good answer. You can try, but that is no guarantee that they will stop. I also tried to get adults involved, and just walking away. None of that helped me, and so I put up with bullying for years. I finally stood up for myself and slapped a girl when she cornered me and was yelling in my face. No one bothered me after that. 

ratchetlee
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I've always told my kids....don't throw the first punch....if they can walk away - GREAT, but I will not be upset if they defend themselves.....

celticwych
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM

My kids are taught to defend them selves period. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN