Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you teach your kids to hit back? *edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

So yesterday, I took my 2.5 and my 6 year old dd's out to play in one of those mall play area things. While there, my 2.5 year old was playing some sort of animal game with another little boy (who looked to be about 3) which consisted of them crawling around and growling at each other. I guess she growled at him a little too loudly becuause he decided to hit my dd. As I was about to get up, my dd stopped, sat back on her feet, had this sort of look on her face, punched that boy like he stole something, and then got back on all fours and growled again. lol. The little boy said "OUCH! THAT HURT!" got up and walked to the other side of the play area mad. His mom was there, but never said anything due to the fact that she watched it all take place. I guess I don't have to worry about my dd getting bullied, huh? lol. My kids are allowed to defend themselves and their siblings but are not allowed to start fights.  Do you ladies teach your kids to hit back?

*Edit*

I see some of you saying that your kids walk away, get an adult or they have never been in a situation to have to hit back, that's amazing. As a child, no amount of walking away, getting an adult or any of that helped the senseless teasing and bullying that I endured. There is only so much a teacher or parent can do to stop that sort of thing. It only stopped when I reached 10th grade and knocked anyone on their ass who harrassed me.  While walking away or getting an adult is the best option, it's not always an option.

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Replies (31-40):
kjbennett26
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Yes I have.  My oldest is very small for his age and I told him if anyone ever hits you or touches you inappropriately you have my permission to fight back in self defense

xMs.Shannax
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Yep yep...this mama isn't raising no push overs or wimps! They can defend themselves :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTuree
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I have told my son that he is allowed to defend himself and hit back if another boy hits him. However, he is not allowed to hit a girl. He has to get away and tell a teacher, me, etc. The only reason he is to ever lay hands on a girl is if he can't get away and she is hurting him.

Shermy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Simply put? No.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kellysparkles
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Good for your DD! I'll teach mine it's okay to hit back in self defense, but never to hit first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitschy
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't consider that defense, it's revenge. There's a big difference. My children can defend themselves but they do not communicate with their hands in every day situations. My kid would have gotten a time out for what you described.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM

In self defense, yes.

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I have told DD she is aloud to hit back. But she's too timid to do it. She doesn't want to hurt anyone. She's like me and unfortunately that means she's a prime target for bullying.

The one time I did catch her hitting back she decided instead of throwing a punch she'd throw a rock. So I had to stop her and she got in trouble. I had to explain that she could have really hurt that kid with a rock and that fighting back does not mean using objects to hit.

-spork2.0-
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Agreed.

I think my issue will lie with ds. Ds will do anything to protect his sissys and I think he will be my problem child as far as fighting. All it will take is one "zai! He did this!"

Quoting raegansmom:

She can't hit first, but she can hit last.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpnFulOfSugar
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Yes
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)