Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What happened to...

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:52 AM
  • 74 Replies

What happened to WANTING your child to have chicken pox?

Im only 25, and I remember my parents taking me to co-workers, neighbors and friends-of-friends-of-friends' houses when I was younger, trying to get me to contract it...

When my sister was 6, she got it twice, and had it so bad the second time around she had pox on her eyes...

So I DID get it, when I was 12, and missed 2 weeks of school (my bff got it too, and we got to hang out the whole time together lol)

I WANT my dd to get the pox...Its like a rite of passage that so many children no longer get!!

She is 5 1/2, and has NOT gotten the vaccine...

Its better to have them when you are younger (so I hear) because as you get older, they become more dangerous to you (again, so I hear)...

Your thoughts?

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Once you get the chickenpox though, you can get the shingles. You can try and prevent both with the vaccine.
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:56 AM
Never thought about it..

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lilfishbigocean
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I wouldn't want anything like that to happen to my kids.
I know it's inevitable, but I don't hope for it.

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Did your dd not get vaxed? I believe they are trying to prevent shingles later in life. They are dangerous and deadly.

Most kids are vaxed
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:59 AM
I do what my parent's did, live life. If my girl's get them they get them I will not purposely expose them how dumb!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nathans_mom0612
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:59 AM
I remember being misetable wheninhad them. And then i had shingles my 1st week of high school. Sorry, dont want that for my kids.
BrittM1988
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:59 AM

They now have a vaccine for it, so i think there is less of a need to have parents expose their children to chicken pox. But a PP was correct about shingles, which is an adult form of chicken pox and HURTS

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I think thats disgusting. 

kjsaes
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:03 AM
My children myself and my SO have never had the chicken pox. Even after being exposed many times when we were kids.
mamivon2
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I had the chicken pox, scarlet fever.measles.. I think I had it all.. I grew up in an apartment and all the kids had everything.. One child started the others got it within a couple of weeks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN