Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is homebirth "safer" then a hospital?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM
  • 75 Replies

Poll

Question: In another group there is a thread saying that homebirth is "safer" than birthing in a hospital. This seems insane to me, while a homebirth is safe I don't see how anyone could consider it "safer" So is a homebirth safer than a hospital?

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 54

View Results

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
numonestunar
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Idk. Probably depends on the mom. A high risk pregnancy? No. Your normal pregnancy? Sure. For me, I wouldn't chance it. I'm more comfortable in a hospital with minimal interventions. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylovey
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

It is safer in some areas. You have a lesser risk of infection at home. You are less likely to receive unneeded interventions.

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:25 AM
In my case it would not have been. My mom and my dd both had complications. If it were not for hospitals I probably wouldn't have either in my life.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:27 AM

For women who are not high risk, yes, it is more safe.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:28 AM
I would not give birth at home.
UgtaBkdnMe
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:28 AM

But why? Why would it be safer to deliver at home, assuming everything is fine and goes perfectly it still seems logical to me to be in a hospital.

Quoting Anonymous:

For women who are not high risk, yes, it is more safe.

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:29 AM
I don't think it is. I would want to be at or very close to a hospital just as a safety net. my best friend gave birth to my god DD in a water birthing "center". It was on the 3rd floor of a hospital. She had complications after she gave birth. Thankfully she was in a hospital more than capable of saving her life.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM
7 moms liked this

It is safer to deliver at home for several reasons, for women who are not high risk. Women labor more easily in an environment they are more comfortable with.

In the home there are fewer, if any vaginal exams, reducing the chance for infection.

Women who choose home birth are less likely to induce, reducing the chance that their baby will be premature.

A woman who labors at home is less likely to labor on her back, which is a horrible and unnatural position for birthing and which is for the doctor's sake, not for the woman's.

There are super bugs in hospitals and tons of other illnesses (that's what hospitals are for) in hospitals that baby and mother could get exposed to.

A mother is less likely to receive an unnecessary c-section when laboring at home.

Those are just a few of the reasons home birth is safer for the average woman than hospital birth.

catrig
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Sometimes.    You need an other option.

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you. I'm delivering next month in a hospital, but I also have a midwife. THey have lactation consultants and have went over every inch of my birthplan with me. 

No one can predict is there will be a complication I would rather be in the hospital than a 20 minute drive away.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I don't think it is. I would want to be at or very close to a hospital just as a safety net. my best friend gave birth to my god DD in a water birthing "center". It was on the 3rd floor of a hospital. She had complications after she gave birth. Thankfully she was in a hospital more than capable of saving her life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)