Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is homebirth "safer" then a hospital?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: In another group there is a thread saying that homebirth is "safer" than birthing in a hospital. This seems insane to me, while a homebirth is safe I don't see how anyone could consider it "safer" So is a homebirth safer than a hospital?

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 54

View Results

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Replies (21-30):
mich.el.le
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM

For a low risk pregnancy, yes it is.  Going to a hospital often introduces the risks that you're trying to avoid.

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Why do you think the staff will "push unneeded interventions?"

Quoting MorganTho:

Because staff will push unneeded interventions, you are exposed to more super bugs in a hospital setting.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

But why? Why would it be safer to deliver at home, assuming everything is fine and goes perfectly it still seems logical to me to be in a hospital.

Quoting Anonymous:

For women who are not high risk, yes, it is more safe.

kaeleesmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Yes, for a low risk pregnancy. My sister is a midwife and all of the local OBs support her and have even referred patients to her who expressed a desire in  having a natural birth. She was front page of our newspaper recently :) Hospital births, even if they're low risk, end in a cascade of interventions and their csection rate is insane.

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Sure I've heard of it, but never known anyone actually getting one.

Quoting Anonymous:

Haven't you heard of all the super bugs in hospitals?

We are raised to believe the hospital is the place to be, but for low risk women, a hospital just ups the chances of major complications

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

But why? Why would it be safer to deliver at home, assuming everything is fine and goes perfectly it still seems logical to me to be in a hospital.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM
I bet you know plenty of women who were told they needed to induce or they weren't progressing fast enough so pitocin was given.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

I find it hard to beleive this happens. I've never known a woman who was forced into an epidural. Or pitocen for that matter.

Quoting Anonymous:

They're safer because they have less risk of infection and there are no doctors telling you to stay on your back while they give you pitocin and epidurals and make you think they have to intervene because your body isn't doing its job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM
My friend was 7cm, and they forced pitocin on her.

They forced pitocin on me as well. It resulted in my baby going into stress and a csection.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

I find it hard to beleive this happens. I've never known a woman who was forced into an epidural. Or pitocen for that matter.

Quoting Anonymous:

They're safer because they have less risk of infection and there are no doctors telling you to stay on your back while they give you pitocin and epidurals and make you think they have to intervene because your body isn't doing its job.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM
In most cases, yes.

You are free to move around, eat and drink as you please, in an intervention free environment. You are not on anyone's schedule, meaning you are not going to be given drugs/c section after 24 hours because your water broke and labour didn't start right away etc.

You are not being exposed to.all sorts of germs and viruses, or birthing in a gown that someone likely died in.
I could go on all day about how much safer it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UgtaBkdnMe
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM

IS she also a nurse? I'm just curious as to what training a midwife has.

Quoting kaeleesmommy:

Yes, for a low risk pregnancy. My sister is a midwife and all of the local OBs support her and have even referred patients to her who expressed a desire in  having a natural birth. She was front page of our newspaper recently :) Hospital births, even if they're low risk, end in a cascade of interventions and their csection rate is insane.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Because they wanna go home

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Why do you think the staff will "push unneeded interventions?"

Quoting MorganTho:

Because staff will push unneeded interventions, you are exposed to more super bugs in a hospital setting.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Quoting Anonymous:

DayDreamer1201
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM

not safer... more comfortable. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)