Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is homebirth "safer" then a hospital?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: In another group there is a thread saying that homebirth is "safer" than birthing in a hospital. This seems insane to me, while a homebirth is safe I don't see how anyone could consider it "safer" So is a homebirth safer than a hospital?

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 54

View Results

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Midwives have extensive training in most cases, similar to an OB. They just aren't trained in surgery, like an OB

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

IS she also a nurse? I'm just curious as to what training a midwife has.

Quoting kaeleesmommy:

Yes, for a low risk pregnancy. My sister is a midwife and all of the local OBs support her and have even referred patients to her who expressed a desire in  having a natural birth. She was front page of our newspaper recently :) Hospital births, even if they're low risk, end in a cascade of interventions and their csection rate is insane.

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I guess it just depends on the hospital. I moved around just fine, wore my own clothes, I've just never had an issue. Well last time they gave me too much of an epi, but I feel that's my own fault for asking for one.

Quoting Randi02:

In most cases, yes.

You are free to move around, eat and drink as you please, in an intervention free environment. You are not on anyone's schedule, meaning you are not going to be given drugs/c section after 24 hours because your water broke and labour didn't start right away etc.

You are not being exposed to.all sorts of germs and viruses, or birthing in a gown that someone likely died in.
I could go on all day about how much safer it is.

MissTuree
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I don't really think there's a right or wrong way, it's just what the mother is more comfortable with.

Millions, probably BILLIONS of women have had healthy babies and did just fine themselves with births outside of a hospital.So it's not something crazy to do. But there are women that feel more comfortable in a hospital...and that's okay.

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Good to know.

Quoting Anonymous:

Midwives have extensive training in most cases, similar to an OB. They just aren't trained in surgery, like an OB

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Quoting kaeleesmommy:

Yes, for a low risk pregnancy. My sister is a midwife and all of the local OBs support her and have even referred patients to her who expressed a desire in  having a natural birth. She was front page of our newspaper recently :) Hospital births, even if they're low risk, end in a cascade of interventions and their csection rate is insane.

MorganTho
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Because to them that's the way its done. Strap a woman to a monitor, make her stay in bed, then check her cervix every hour, break her water for her (arom).

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Why do you think the staff will "push unneeded interventions?"

Quoting MorganTho:

Because staff will push unneeded interventions, you are exposed to more super bugs in a hospital setting.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

But why? Why would it be safer to deliver at home, assuming everything is fine and goes perfectly it still seems logical to me to be in a hospital.

Quoting Anonymous:

For women who are not high risk, yes, it is more safe.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaeleesmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:54 AM

She's a CPM. She studied under another CPM for 6 years and then took the NARM exam. She averages 70-80 births a year and has had her license for 4 years. There are different types of midwives. Also, which midwives are legal to practice vary state to state.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Quoting kaeleesmommy:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM
No. But I personally think homebirthing is stupid. But if you ask any obgyn they tell you that they strongly advise against it because you don't know what can go wrong and you may not have time till the ambulance gets there and that could mean you or your babies lives, and I listen to doctors who have experience doing this kind of thing way before I listen to some know it all mom who's read online that its the new thing to do.
MorganTho
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM
A friends dd went to the hospital from a Cohn's flare-up. She got salmonella and mrsa while there.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Sure I've heard of it, but never known anyone actually getting one.

Quoting Anonymous:

Haven't you heard of all the super bugs in hospitals?

We are raised to believe the hospital is the place to be, but for low risk women, a hospital just ups the chances of major complications

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

But why? Why would it be safer to deliver at home, assuming everything is fine and goes perfectly it still seems logical to me to be in a hospital.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2annaliese
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM
No way no how.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommy2annaliese
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Hospital never pushed me to do any of that and I begged them to. That's not the case with every hospital and probably not the majority of them either.

Quoting MorganTho:

Because to them that's the way its done. Strap a woman to a monitor, make her stay in bed, then check her cervix every hour, break her water for her (arom).

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Why do you think the staff will "push unneeded interventions?"

Quoting MorganTho:

Because staff will push unneeded interventions, you are exposed to more super bugs in a hospital setting.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured