Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is homebirth "safer" then a hospital?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: In another group there is a thread saying that homebirth is "safer" than birthing in a hospital. This seems insane to me, while a homebirth is safe I don't see how anyone could consider it "safer" So is a homebirth safer than a hospital?

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 54

View Results

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Nope. They didn't force anything on you. They suggested it and either you didn't chime in and say you didn't want to or your baby was already in risk because the labor wasn't progressing fast enough.

Quoting Anonymous:

My friend was 7cm, and they forced pitocin on her.

They forced pitocin on me as well. It resulted in my baby going into stress and a csection.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

I find it hard to beleive this happens. I've never known a woman who was forced into an epidural. Or pitocen for that matter.

Quoting Anonymous:

They're safer because they have less risk of infection and there are no doctors telling you to stay on your back while they give you pitocin and epidurals and make you think they have to intervene because your body isn't doing its job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Ohhh, but it is the majority. Go to the pregnancy boards and read birth stories.

Also, the fact the nations csection rate is well over 30% speaks volumes

Quoting mommy2annaliese:

Hospital never pushed me to do any of that and I begged them to. That's not the case with every hospital and probably not the majority of them either.

Quoting MorganTho:

Because to them that's the way its done. Strap a woman to a monitor, make her stay in bed, then check her cervix every hour, break her water for her (arom).

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Why do you think the staff will "push unneeded interventions?"

Quoting MorganTho:

Because staff will push unneeded interventions, you are exposed to more super bugs in a hospital setting.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

But why? Why would it be safer to deliver at home, assuming everything is fine and goes perfectly it still seems logical to me to be in a hospital.

Quoting Anonymous:

For women who are not high risk, yes, it is more safe.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM
How could they be if high risk is considered safer in a hospital? These are the people we should measure "safe" by.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Lmao.
You're obviously ignorant to how birth works.

And yes, it was forced on me. As they are injecting my IV with it, they tell me, we are giving you pitocin to speed things up. No questions before. No time to deny.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope. They didn't force anything on you. They suggested it and either you didn't chime in and say you didn't want to or your baby was already in risk because the labor wasn't progressing fast enough.

Quoting Anonymous:

My friend was 7cm, and they forced pitocin on her.

They forced pitocin on me as well. It resulted in my baby going into stress and a csection.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

I find it hard to beleive this happens. I've never known a woman who was forced into an epidural. Or pitocen for that matter.

Quoting Anonymous:

They're safer because they have less risk of infection and there are no doctors telling you to stay on your back while they give you pitocin and epidurals and make you think they have to intervene because your body isn't doing its job.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Most women don't have those options. They are told that they have to wear the gown, they are hooked up to monitors and given an iv - both restrict movement. They are given drugs, catheters, made to labour and push on their backs etc.
They are told when/how long to push, and it can be a fight to birth comfortably.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

I guess it just depends on the hospital. I moved around just fine, wore my own clothes, I've just never had an issue. Well last time they gave me too much of an epi, but I feel that's my own fault for asking for one.

Quoting Randi02:

In most cases, yes.

You are free to move around, eat and drink as you please, in an intervention free environment. You are not on anyone's schedule, meaning you are not going to be given drugs/c section after 24 hours because your water broke and labour didn't start right away etc.

You are not being exposed to.all sorts of germs and viruses, or birthing in a gown that someone likely died in.

I could go on all day about how much safer it is.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2annaliese
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM
lol, no thanks. And you know, i don't think csections are all that awful. I think I will opt for one with my next child. If things look like they could be going downhill I would much rather have one than chance anything ever happening to my baby. Just my
Opinion. Everyone is different. I personally would never even think of having a home birth but whatever someone else wants to do
Is up to them :) your body your choice.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ohhh, but it is the majority. Go to the pregnancy boards and read birth stories.

Also, the fact the nations csection rate is well over 30% speaks volumes

Quoting mommy2annaliese:

Hospital never pushed me to do any of that and I begged them to. That's not the case with every hospital and probably not the majority of them either.

Quoting MorganTho:

Because to them that's the way its done. Strap a woman to a monitor, make her stay in bed, then check her cervix every hour, break her water for her (arom).

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Why do you think the staff will "push unneeded interventions?"

Quoting MorganTho:

Because staff will push unneeded interventions, you are exposed to more super bugs in a hospital setting.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

But why? Why would it be safer to deliver at home, assuming everything is fine and goes perfectly it still seems logical to me to be in a hospital.

Quoting Anonymous:

For women who are not high risk, yes, it is more safe.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM

In MY opinion, NO

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Why?
The majority of women are low risk. Why would we base anything off the minority?

Of course high risk pregnancies are safer in a hospital. I don't think anyone is arguing that.

Quoting Anonymous:

How could they be if high risk is considered safer in a hospital? These are the people we should measure "safe" by.
UgtaBkdnMe
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM

It's probably because the women are not aware of options. I had a meeting last week with my OB and a nurse so we couls go over my birth plan. 

Quoting Randi02:

Most women don't have those options. They are told that they have to wear the gown, they are hooked up to monitors and given an iv - both restrict movement. They are given drugs, catheters, made to labour and push on their backs etc.
They are told when/how long to push, and it can be a fight to birth comfortably.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

I guess it just depends on the hospital. I moved around just fine, wore my own clothes, I've just never had an issue. Well last time they gave me too much of an epi, but I feel that's my own fault for asking for one.

Quoting Randi02:

In most cases, yes.

You are free to move around, eat and drink as you please, in an intervention free environment. You are not on anyone's schedule, meaning you are not going to be given drugs/c section after 24 hours because your water broke and labour didn't start right away etc.

You are not being exposed to.all sorts of germs and viruses, or birthing in a gown that someone likely died in.

I could go on all day about how much safer it is.

kaeleesmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM

This is the news article that a reporter done on one of her clients births. http://www.roanoke.com/extra/wb/316813

Quoting kaeleesmommy:

She's a CPM. She studied under another CPM for 6 years and then took the NARM exam. She averages 70-80 births a year and has had her license for 4 years. There are different types of midwives. Also, which midwives are legal to practice vary state to state.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

IS she also a nurse? I'm just curious as to what training a midwife has.

Quoting kaeleesmommy:

Yes, for a low risk pregnancy. My sister is a midwife and all of the local OBs support her and have even referred patients to her who expressed a desire in  having a natural birth. She was front page of our newspaper recently :) Hospital births, even if they're low risk, end in a cascade of interventions and their csection rate is insane.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)