Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

creative moms needed.... please give me input

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

My 5th grader has a very ambitious project for this coming week.  She wants to make a life size circulatory system for the science fair.  She would like the lungs to inflate and the heart to beat.... i told her not to get her hopes up.  She gets a participation grade only... so we are good with that.

I have been googling all morning and think it is best to use a variety of items: styrofoam balls, tubing, string, paper mache, etc.

But would LOVE any suggestions you might come up with.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ma2JennaB
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Wow.  That is great she is being ambitious and into it.  I am not mechanically inclined, but I wish you luck! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM

thank you..... luckily the science fair isnt until feb. and the kids still have next week off.  so we will be working on it for a while.

Quoting Ma2JennaB:

Wow.  That is great she is being ambitious and into it.  I am not mechanically inclined, but I wish you luck! 

jillbailey26
by Jill on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM

An easy way to get the lungs to inflate and the heart to beat would be to use the bulb and tube from a blood pressure (or something similar) cuff and just pump it up.  You can probably go to Home Depot and get tons of tubing, just paint it various shades of red.  My husband said it's not very expensive either.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM

good idea

Quoting jillbailey26:

An easy way to get the lungs to inflate and the heart to beat would be to use the bulb and tube from a blood pressure (or something similar) cuff and just pump it up.  You can probably go to Home Depot and get tons of tubing, just paint it various shades of red.  My husband said it's not very expensive either.

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Can she do a recording and have it play for the beating heart. There is a website that has recordings of all types of sounds. When I taught sixth grade one of the students did a similar project and she used red yarn for the veins. 

vetNmommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Wow!  That is great she wants to do that!  The best project I ever did was extract DNA from liver and a bannana.  (I won the Science fair. lol) It was awesome! I was in 10th grade. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM

yarn and sound... great suggestions!!!!  thanks!!!!

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

Can she do a recording and have it play for the beating heart. There is a website that has recordings of all types of sounds. When I taught sixth grade one of the students did a similar project and she used red yarn for the veins. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM
pipe cleaner is helpful
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM

there are no winners at this level... just participation grades.

well done you!!!!  did you end up studying biology in college?  

Quoting vetNmommy:

Wow!  That is great she wants to do that!  The best project I ever did was extract DNA from liver and a bannana.  (I won the Science fair. lol) It was awesome! I was in 10th grade. 

vetNmommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM

lol, no I actually hate biology!  It is my worst subject next to math.  lol.  I am in college right now for Criminal Justice. (one more year left) I was interested in how to extract the DNA, so it kept my attention.  That's how Science and I work.  If it grasp my attention, we are good.  (just like when they discovered a new species of cave spiders a few months ago, they have hooks on their legs) I have to be interested in the topic. lol. 

Quoting Anonymous:

there are no winners at this level... just participation grades.

well done you!!!!  did you end up studying biology in college?  

Quoting vetNmommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured