Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can a Christian please answer me???

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Why do most Christians only choose to follow certain things in the bible instead of everything? If this has already been done i apologize.

Why are some people getting so upset? Im not asking to be rude im just really curious?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:08 PM
so do people like you. No one is perfect, not you or them.

Quoting Anonymous:

They prefer to point fingers rather than look in the mirror.

ccnstanczak
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:08 PM

there are so many denominations that focus on certain aspects of christianity.

i cant say what Most Christians do, i grew up Catholic so while Christian, its a little different than what protestent or even nondemoniational Christians follow. Christianity is only one of the many corners in the foundation of my own personal spirituality. i embrace many differant faiths and beliefs and make them myown. The part of the bible i follow is the message of love and faith and finding your way to be closer to your God. I dont think im perfect for following Christ but i relize im not perfect so i turn to him for his wisdom and guidence. He is a symbol of love and acceptance and strong passion and sacrafice, goodwill to mankind. My beliefs kind of stem off of that and go beyond that but thats my base. so yeah while i do eat meat on fridays and dont do abc that the bible says, i still do have faith and a choice to follow something that is bigger than me.

i dont know if that answers your question or not. lol but thats my 2cts.

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Will you give a specific example? 

ratchetlee
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Look....my family and I try very very very hard to do everything we are supposed to..... but unfortunately we are not perfect

Do you have a specific example??  

babylove041810
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:11 PM
This.

Quoting kfroz0415:

I dont actively and intentionally choose to do this, but I am human and I make mistakes. I do my best to be a good person and a good christian, but I accept I am far from perfect. When I do mess up I apologize and hope everyone affected will forgive me in time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsFavors
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM

What is an example of a Christian (choosing) not to follow certain things. We only have 10 commandments but as Jesus said the greatest commandment is to Love God. For those answering "we're not Perfect" her question is Why do they choose to follow certain things, not about the mistakes.

ccnstanczak
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Jesus was born, the son of god sent as a human to save us all and bring us closer to GOD, he died for our sins. we are sinners, and since jesus died for our sins, he is our savoir. savoir from sin. accept jesus and you are saved from your sins. to be saved from sin is to not only believe in him as your savoir but to follow his word. To be sin free is hard, jesus knows this, we ask for forgivness, he forgives. We continue to sin and forgived and then when we die we are judged and go to heaven or hell. The bible is the rule book. god and jesus know we are going to break the rules and then turn to jesus and god to forgive and then be closer to god.

that is basicly in a very tight nutshell of christianity. the rest is the details.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Because they choose what is convenient for them and because the Bible is full of contridictions since it had many authors
My6Rock
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:45 PM
2 moms liked this

The Old Testament, in many ways, still provides some guidelines. However, Christ does speak of many Old Testament ways as being obsolete, mostly because their interpretation had been twisted. His coming offers Grace and Forgiveness. Christians accept his coming as a bridge between sin and God, and the only way we can enter God's presence is as sinless beings. That being impossible, Christ has shouldered those sins.

As for Christian's outward behavior, we are called to be Christlike in our actions and personal behaviors including thoughts and motivation. Their are several reasons the term "Christlike" is used. First, we are not Christ. We can never be Christ. Therefore, we can never be perfect. However, Christ graciously makes it possible for us to someday be in the presence of God's Glory. Second, to be Christlike is to keep one's self from the harm of all that can cause human pain. In any area of our lives, we may fall short, thus causing ourselves pain and suffering. Yes, God gives us trials, but to be Christlike, one must accept those trials as Christ accepted his for the love of man, an example most difficult to follow, which is why Christ's crucifixion is all the more glorious. Third, we are to set an example of Christian Love. Christ's love took many forms. Sometimes he was kind and gentle; sometimes he was bold, straightforward, and unyielding. It is truly difficult to outwardly express our beliefs in Christ to those who have closed their hearts to Christ's gift of salvation. Judgement upon the Christian is often based on an unrealistic assumption that Christians must be Christ in their behaviors rather than working to be Christlike.

This is the most difficult dilemma of the Christian for most. It does not matter how hard we try, we cannot be Christ. Therefore, we are grateful for his love and gift of salvation on our part, but for others to see this is our refuge is difficult for the non-Christian who is judgemental towards a Christian's imperfection.

We love and hope to be an example of Christ, but we all fall short. When we accept this, our "Yoke" becomes "light", when we fight it, we are fighting the world without hope of winning.

The bottom line is imperfection is unattractive to humans, and when those we expect to be perfect aren't, we are even more harsh in our feelings toward those imperfections.

Gabrielle1982
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Master_Debater:

I'm not Christian but I'll answer. The Old Testament is not to be followed anymore because of Jesus coming.

And we're all born with sin and will continue to sin, no matter what. There will always be something, nobody is perfect.

Then why did Jesus say he came to fulfill the law and not abolish it?

And why do Christians quote Leviticus for reasoning on being against homosexuality if they don't follow Old Testament?

You're right.  The Old Testament is still legit.  Some things did change after Jesus's coming.  For example, we don't sacrifice animals to cleanse our sins because Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice.  He also pray through Jesus now and etc....He was the ultimate fullfilment and just because there were some changes after His arrival doesn't mean that the Old Testament has no bearings on Christianity anymore, it is still as important as the rest.  Also, I feel that people sometimes forget that was a different time and that the "authors" were not scholars.  These weren't no people educated in the art of literature, they were people given a message and trying to spread that message the best they could.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)