Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

paid maternity leave - a graph

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM
  • 222 Replies

Discuss. Should we change? What should we do to fix this if you find this a problem.

edit: Think progress put this graphic out. Also, it's what is mandated by LAW not what is given to use out of niceness of the employer to the employee. It is required to the jobs to provide this. Yes, some jobs in this country DO give us paid maternity leave but it's your own luck if you get paid. Yes, they can give you up to 12 weeks UNPAID if you choose to take 12 weeks. Most families opt for six weeks because they can't even think about going 6 more weeks unpaid or having six weeks unpaid. Some people don't carry insurance or their job doesn't supply them paid maternity leave. FMLA only lets you by LAW give you so many weeks paid maternity leave when you work for a company more than six months. Please correct me if I am wrong about FMLA.

My stance is it should be given to you automatically  - a six week paid maternity leave if not more depending on how long you've held the position not what type of job it is. I think paid maternity leave is a fabulous thng and it gives the mother and family a wonderful good beginning and start to breastfeeding or finding a new groove to their daily life. Less stress to worry about when you are on those six week leave when it is paid for. 

Pregnancy Ticker

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:41 PM
3 moms liked this
Every (wo)man for themselves in American huh? Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:42 PM
11 moms liked this
Sooooo Pakistan has better maternity leave policy than we do... Can anyone else see the irony in this?
butterflyk1ssez
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I think it's shocking to see it laid out like that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Every (wo)man for themselves in American huh? Lol

Pregnancy Ticker

Pnukey
by Jenn on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:42 PM
9 moms liked this

We wanted to be treated like men, and well, there you go.

FTR, I had 4 months off when I had my son. :) 

anotherhalf
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM
2 moms liked this
I live in the US and worked for the county and got 4 months I think. So that big fat 0 is propaganda.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UgtaBkdnMe
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Some jobs do have paid maternity leave so it can't be 0

butterflyk1ssez
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I thought that too! And, seeing Mexico(I've never been!) being as under devloped as so many people say it is have 12 weeks paid maternity leave.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sooooo Pakistan has better maternity leave policy than we do... Can anyone else see the irony in this?

Pregnancy Ticker

butterflyk1ssez
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I am pretty sure it depends on your job if it's given or NOT. I had no paid maternity leave 3 1/2 years ago and I was with that job for two and a half years before I had him.  I think this graphic is showing given maternity leave with no job discrimination. Like, it's a given requirement all jobs must provide this not just one type.

Quoting anotherhalf:

I live in the US and worked for the county and got 4 months I think. So that big fat 0 is propaganda.

Pregnancy Ticker

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this
And...who do you expect to pay for the paid maternity leave? The countries with the highest amount have extremely high taxes.
Kris_PBG
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
You were paid your regular salary for 20 weeks? Not sick time, not short term disability?

I find that hard to believe.

Quoting anotherhalf:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured