Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

paid maternity leave - a graph

Discuss. Should we change? What should we do to fix this if you find this a problem.

edit: Think progress put this graphic out. Also, it's what is mandated by LAW not what is given to use out of niceness of the employer to the employee. It is required to the jobs to provide this. Yes, some jobs in this country DO give us paid maternity leave but it's your own luck if you get paid. Yes, they can give you up to 12 weeks UNPAID if you choose to take 12 weeks. Most families opt for six weeks because they can't even think about going 6 more weeks unpaid or having six weeks unpaid. Some people don't carry insurance or their job doesn't supply them paid maternity leave. FMLA only lets you by LAW give you so many weeks paid maternity leave when you work for a company more than six months. Please correct me if I am wrong about FMLA.

My stance is it should be given to you automatically  - a six week paid maternity leave if not more depending on how long you've held the position not what type of job it is. I think paid maternity leave is a fabulous thng and it gives the mother and family a wonderful good beginning and start to breastfeeding or finding a new groove to their daily life. Less stress to worry about when you are on those six week leave when it is paid for. 

Pregnancy Ticker

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Replies (221-222):
Rene04
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:52 PM
That doesn't require the company you work for to pay you. Just that you can take the leave without losing your job.

Quoting BluePandaDreams:

There is FMLA.

Quoting Rene04:

Your company that you work for does. The graph is saying that it is something that is guaranteed through the government , if I'm understanding it correctly.

Quoting BluePandaDreams:

They have paid maternity leave where I work, so this isn't accurate and yes it is full pay.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BambiF
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM
I'm in Canada and not only do we have maternity leave but we have parental leave. My husband was able to take time off after our second was born. It was really nice. And we pay into it, it comes off our pay cheques each week. It's just getting back what we put in..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN