Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kid's Birthday Parties?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:29 PM
  • 27 Replies
When do you start planning?

My son's (well both sons) birthdays are in Febuary. I'm trying to start now because one's birthday is the 1st and the other's is the 10th. We even have about 10 people coming from out of state for their birthdays.

I need ideas for their parties so I can sort of get all the ideas together and start the buying and organizing.

My YDS is on the 1st and he is turning one. His party will be at our pool with Disney's Car theme.

My ODS is on the 10th and he is turning 7. His party will be at the park and we will rent a couple bounce houses. He wants to invite his whole class an have an Angry Birds theme.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carter210
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Bump
Schleetle
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:39 PM
A few months in advance. However we have stopped doing traditional parties, and now do a special day or trip instead.
carter210
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM
That sounds fun! My son has been talking about this party since last years party. Lol.

Quoting Schleetle:

A few months in advance. However we have stopped doing traditional parties, and now do a special day or trip instead.
xXxLillithxXx
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:43 PM

My son just turned 5 and I've yet to have a birthday party per se. He doesn't really have any friends to invite and I had looked into party rentals and all that but seeing as how I didn't have anyone to really invite besides adults it seemed pointless. My mom came down and we went to eat chinese (he picked) and then we took him to toys r us and let him pick out something and he always gets to pick out his cake which seems to be his favorite part every year this yr it was iron man. We had dinner together that evening and sang him happy birthday and had cake. That was about it. I am hoping next year he has more friends and we are doing better financially and we can have a real "party" lol

carter210
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM
Aw.. It sounds like he had an awesome birthday party!!

Quoting xXxLillithxXx:

My son just turned 5 and I've yet to have a birthday party per se. He doesn't really have any friends to invite and I had looked into party rentals and all that but seeing as how I didn't have anyone to really invite besides adults it seemed pointless. My mom came down and we went to eat chinese (he picked) and then we took him to toys r us and let him pick out something and he always gets to pick out his cake which seems to be his favorite part every year this yr it was iron man. We had dinner together that evening and sang him happy birthday and had cake. That was about it. I am hoping next year he has more friends and we are doing better financially and we can have a real "party" lol

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:50 PM

we gave our kids a choice, either a big party with their friends or a shopping spree with me and a date with dad.  they chose the latter.  in our experience, we've seen how most people who aren't family don't show up to partys and are already very busy. I don't want to spend all that money only to have maybe 2 people show up.  We prefer to just family stuff together and skip the stress.

carter210
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Last year we had quite a few people show up. I was really surprised. I can see though when they get older skipping the party.

Quoting peachesforme:

we gave our kids a choice, either a big party with their friends or a shopping spree with me and a date with dad.  they chose the latter.  in our experience, we've seen how most people who aren't family don't show up to partys and are already very busy. I don't want to spend all that money only to have maybe 2 people show up.  We prefer to just family stuff together and skip the stress.

SnortysMom
by CatMarie on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Since DS entered kindergarten this year, I sent an invite to all his classmates. I was so worried no one would show up. We had at least 10 out of 16 show up. We had it at a local bowling alley. 

The kids had so much fun. We had sort of a Mickey Mouse theme to it too. We just had some Mickey plates, cups, napkins, cake, Mickey Mouse hats and balloons. 

Autumn19
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM
ds will be 6 next month we are doing a bowling party. (only place in town)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peachesforme
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Quoting carter210:

Last year we had quite a few people show up. I was really surprised. I can see though when they get older skipping the party.

Quoting peachesforme:

mine just turned 12 and 10. I bought so much stuff for my 2nd dd yesterday!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN