Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Something wrong with my dog...please help *Pics *UPDATE

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:26 PM
  • 57 Replies
Update: I took her to the vet, who said we could either try some natural remedies or put her on Prozac. I opted for natural! We tried some calming chews, but they didn't work and I came home to a puddle of blood outside of her crate :(. Then I got her a thunder shirt (which basically applies steady pressure to her body) and she seems to really like it! I moved the dogs into the laundry room, put their beds in there, and stacked two baby gates at the doorway. They all did very well and that is where I will keep them when we're not home. Lacey will still have to be crated on occasion so I am just going to work on crate training from the beginning, starting with just a few minutes. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Here's their new "bedroom":

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

We adopted a shelter dog almost 3 1/2 years ago. At that time they estimated her age at 3 years old, so she is around 6 now. She is a wonderful dog - learned commands well, very sweet, rarely misbehaves. She has been crated at night since we got her and our other dogs are crated as well. At first she whined on occasion when crated but that went away quickly. Until last week.

I swear, this dog is suddenly possessed by the devil! I came down one morning to find her crate 2 feet away from the wall and at a sideways angle. Weird. The next two days in a row she got out of the crate but we couldn't figure out how. The next day several metal bars were bent together and one was ripped clean off. Her mouth was red and swollen and there was blood on her blanket.

I don't know what to do! I don't know why she is suddenly freaking out and acting like this. I am concerned about her hurting herself. I have been giving her Benadryl at night for the past few nights and put a new side onto her crate. She hasn't bent any more bars but is still chewing on them and bleeding a little bit. I have been putting nylabones and stuffed kongs in her crate but she doesn't touch them. I have been giving her treats when she goes into the crate (and she does go in willingly, on her own). In the morning when she comes out of the crate she is fine an acts completely normal.

The obvious solution is to stop crating her, but the dogs get into trouble when left out all night. And there is clearly something else going on, since she was fine in the crate for YEARS and now suddenly flips out. Nothing has changed in our house - no new pets or people in the house, she hasn't been sick, no changes in schedule or diet, nothing! I am going to take her to the vet on Monday, but if anyone has any advice in the meantime I would love to hear it!!

This is what she did to her crate:

And this is what happened to her mouth:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:28 PM
I.would take her to the vet. Its possible she may have a brain tumor.
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Is she a chihuahua mix? Mine is full chihuahua and does the same thing. We can't keep her crated. We have gates on either side of the kitchen and the dogs hang out in there when we are gone. She also helps the other dogs escape if we try to crate them......

beaugrl0824
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Holy crap, no clue!

Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miss-Fortune
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:30 PM
She might have separation anxiety. My dog does. We cannot leave him in the house when we go somewhere or he poops all over and years stuff up.

Otherwise he is a perfect dog. Never does any of it when we are home. There have been times where we will leave him in the garage due to weather and sometimes he does ok for a few days and then suddenly he starts up again.
Kylie819
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM
No, she's min pin, Manchester terrier, and who knows what else.

And she was always good in the crate until this week!

Quoting sheramom4:

Is she a chihuahua mix? Mine is full chihuahua and does the same thing. We can't keep her crated. We have gates on either side of the kitchen and the dogs hang out in there when we are gone. She also helps the other dogs escape if we try to crate them......

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I'd take her to the vet first thing Monday. Good luck. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Wow.
beachbeauty
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Could you maybe have a mouse?  It would be more active at night when the house is quiet.  My dog whines to get out of her crate when she's cold, too, she hates being cold and likes to sleep under blankets.  She's never bent the bars on her crate, but I'm a sucker and let her out if she whines/barks more than a few minutes.

pittiesmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:34 PM
What's your night time routine like?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyLove23
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Wow that little dog worked tirelessly to do that!Sounds like she has some serious anxiety issues maybe because she is getting older and her horomones are changing?My mom has a dobie that has to take vallium..Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured