Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

melatonin <3

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

I have an in-law who swears by it to sleep at times, and I'm an insomniac. I still don't take it but i've heard women give it to their kids?

Do you and if you do, why?! Can't it lower the amount of melatonin the body makes naturally?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mattiehatter
by Mary on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:51 AM

I take it on occasion to sleep.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:51 AM

I take it myself...5mg if i cannot sleep. Works like a charm.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:52 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I take it myself...5mg if i cannot sleep. Works like a charm.

Would you give it to your kids? how fast does it work?

teal_phoenix
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:55 AM

I have thought about taking it.

LiDoMama
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:56 AM
I take it often. It works within an hour for me. I would not give it to my children until they are teenagers, sort of like how the pain reliever medicines say not to give children under 12 or a certain weight the medicine..because I can't guarantee how the medicine will be metabolized when they are that small. Warm milk and a back rub works well for my two older kids, the baby is too little still to be on a schedule.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:57 AM

Quoting LiDoMama:

I take it often. It works within an hour for me. I would not give it to my children until they were teenagers, sort of like how the pain reliever medicines say not to give children under 12 or a certain weight the medicine..because I can't guarantee how the medicine will be metabolized when they are that small. Warm milk and a back rub works well for my two older kids, the baby is too little still to be on a schedule.

I worry about it becoming habit forming. Do you ever feel that you can't sleep without it......

LiDoMama
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:03 AM
It hasn't been habit forming for me. Medicines such as Unisom and the like are more habit forming, at least in my experience. I took Melatonin regularly for over two years and was able to stop taking it asap once I started ttc my youngest. I understand your concern, because I am someone who doesn't like to take medicine/supplements (except a multivitamin). But the Melatonin has really made a difference in my quality of sleep. It helped me set my sleep schedule better. I have been an insomniac since I was a very young child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LiDoMama:

I take it often. It works within an hour for me. I would not give it to my children until they were teenagers, sort of like how the pain reliever medicines say not to give children under 12 or a certain weight the medicine..because I can't guarantee how the medicine will be metabolized when they are that small. Warm milk and a back rub works well for my two older kids, the baby is too little still to be on a schedule.

I worry about it becoming habit forming. Do you ever feel that you can't sleep without it......

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kids4tara
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:08 AM

I have tried Melatonin, Tylenol PM, Benadryl, a few glasses of wine, special teas, Lunesta, Tamazepam, Ambien, etc.....I work 3 night shifts a week and my sleep schedule is extremely screwed up. Nothing works for me and it makes life hell. I can't go to day shift because I really need the shift diff pay. Good luck. And no, I would never give any of that to my kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:09 AM

Quoting 4kids4tara:

I have tried Melatonin, Tylenol PM, Benadryl, a few glasses of wine, special teas, Lunesta, Tamazepam, Ambien, etc.....I work 3 night shifts a week and my sleep schedule is extremely screwed up. Nothing works for me and it makes life hell. I can't go to day shift because I really need the shift diff pay. Good luck. And no, I would never give any of that to my kids.

:( I don't know why I can't sleep. Really hope it all works out for you, you're a tough mama!

nikabear
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:10 AM
I take it and yes I give it my six and ten year olds
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)