Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is there a style that you would not allow your children to wear even if they really liked it?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM
  • 374 Replies
6 moms liked this

I am not talking about something that is sexual in nature, but just general styles.

Another post made me go looking for an old pic of one of my kids and it made me think of this.  My family is not "country" at all.  We would never dress on a country/western style. We don't listen to country music. I listen to rap. The dirtier and more profane the better. My ex listened to heavy metal. We are like the opposite of country.  But, somewhere along the way, we all began to like Garth Brooks. This lead to my youngest being a huge Garth Brooks fan.

One Christmas, all he wanted was to be Garth Brooks. So, even though it is totally a style we are not comfortable with and would probably laugh at if one of us (the parents) attempted to wear clothes like this, we bought them for our son. We seriously made him the happiest little Garth Brooks wannabe that ever lived.  It was great. I was glad we stepped out of our comfort zone and went into a country type clothing store and made his dreams come true.  We made sure to get him every component.

If you are not country, would you let your kid dress like this if he/she really liked it?

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
singlemom1208
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM
3 moms liked this
Yes. Style is personal. Not something I'd fight about
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I don't have a problem with it. My parents are church going conservatives, and I dressed like a hippie/grunge when I was a teen. :) 

Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM
22 moms liked this
I wouldnt allow that goth white makeup, facial piercing bullshit. I also wouldnt allow them to dress in the juggalo/lette style either with the makeup and all that ridiculousness. Other than that, I wouldnt have a problem with their style.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM
4 moms liked this

that child looks adorable. I would never let my sons wear  Huge ass jeans showing their boxers. THAT pisses me off. I am so thankful my sons dress Preppy. J crew it their favorite store.

panther79
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

eh as long as it's not offensive why not? my parents were super strict on what they let me wear as a kid and I kinda felt lost when i was able to pick and choose for myself.

poshkat
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this

not really. ds really wanted to wear his superman cape and mask out one day when we had to go to walmart. i consented and he was super happy.

tharealty2
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I'm not sure where my oldest daughter got it from but she's a country fan and likes to dress like a cowgirl.  My son,. well, he likes my lil pony. yea.  I'm fine with most of it, but I think I'd have a real hard time with goth.  especially if they wanted to do the make up as well.  I don't think I'd prohibit it unless it was extreme.

HouseOfLove
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

As long as my kids pick something that is clean & weather appropriate, they can wear whatever they want.

ratchetlee
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

As long as it's age appropriate and modest in nature and without cursing...then IDC.....

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Grunge or gothic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)