Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is there a style that you would not allow your children to wear even if they really liked it?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not talking about something that is sexual in nature, but just general styles.

Another post made me go looking for an old pic of one of my kids and it made me think of this.  My family is not "country" at all.  We would never dress on a country/western style. We don't listen to country music. I listen to rap. The dirtier and more profane the better. My ex listened to heavy metal. We are like the opposite of country.  But, somewhere along the way, we all began to like Garth Brooks. This lead to my youngest being a huge Garth Brooks fan.

One Christmas, all he wanted was to be Garth Brooks. So, even though it is totally a style we are not comfortable with and would probably laugh at if one of us (the parents) attempted to wear clothes like this, we bought them for our son. We seriously made him the happiest little Garth Brooks wannabe that ever lived.  It was great. I was glad we stepped out of our comfort zone and went into a country type clothing store and made his dreams come true.  We made sure to get him every component.

If you are not country, would you let your kid dress like this if he/she really liked it?

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Replies (11-20):
bellaamore
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I wouldnt allow over the top makeup (like juggalo/lette), or pants that sag. I wouldnt allow thongsshowing... You know, parts all overed.

Anything else is fine

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

the only one i'd say no to is stripper style...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Quoting wkukid:

Grunge or gothic.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM

My kids can wear whatever they want as long as everything is covered.

SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Sure, as long as it is not offensive, covers them appropriately and is in my price range, I have no issues with it.

I have piercings and wear nerdy or rockstar type clothing. DH prefers jeans, t-shirt and sneakers. DD loves Justice type clothing (if there is glitter, it's a winner). DS is 2 but he loves robots and firetrucks on his clothes.

We are a diverse bunch haha.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Yep, as long as their asses aren't hanging out I don't mind.
I'll admit that if they want to wear preppy clothing I'll be a little sad, but I'll let them pick their own style.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Plus-size-mommy
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:58 AM

This

Quoting Stephd710:

I wouldnt allow that goth white makeup, facial piercing bullshit. I also wouldnt allow them to dress in the juggalo/lette style either with the makeup and all that ridiculousness. Other than that, I wouldnt have a problem with their style.

redhead-bedhead
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM
I feel the same way.

Quoting SamiJ18:

Sure, as long as it is not offensive, covers them appropriately and is in my price range, I have no issues with it.

I have piercings and wear nerdy or rockstar type clothing. DH prefers jeans, t-shirt and sneakers. DD loves Justice type clothing (if there is glitter, it's a winner). DS is 2 but he loves robots and firetrucks on his clothes.

We are a diverse bunch haha.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
skittlefart
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM

dawww...so cute!

._. just overly baggy clothes...I don't want my kid wearing pants that don't fit his butt. Otherwise, I don't think I'll have a problem with him wearing anything else. But it's nice I can still pick out his clothing :D Love dressin' my babe. 

100_3402_zpscc9632ae-1_zps98432025
carolyntx
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM
I let my son wear whatever he wants. He has Spiderman cowboy boots that he wears all the time with shorts lol that's his thing and makes him happy so why not. He also really likes wearing his cape out and about so he does. In the future I think that I'll feel the same. My house is like yours, we are not country, but doesn't mean he can't be :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)