Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is there a style that you would not allow your children to wear even if they really liked it?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not talking about something that is sexual in nature, but just general styles.

Another post made me go looking for an old pic of one of my kids and it made me think of this.  My family is not "country" at all.  We would never dress on a country/western style. We don't listen to country music. I listen to rap. The dirtier and more profane the better. My ex listened to heavy metal. We are like the opposite of country.  But, somewhere along the way, we all began to like Garth Brooks. This lead to my youngest being a huge Garth Brooks fan.

One Christmas, all he wanted was to be Garth Brooks. So, even though it is totally a style we are not comfortable with and would probably laugh at if one of us (the parents) attempted to wear clothes like this, we bought them for our son. We seriously made him the happiest little Garth Brooks wannabe that ever lived.  It was great. I was glad we stepped out of our comfort zone and went into a country type clothing store and made his dreams come true.  We made sure to get him every component.

If you are not country, would you let your kid dress like this if he/she really liked it?

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Replies (21-30):
babylove041810
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM
This. I don't believe in keeping kids from being who they are but that make up is just too ridiculous!!

Quoting bellaamore:

I wouldnt allow over the top makeup (like juggalo/lette), or pants that sag. I wouldnt allow thongsshowing... You know, parts all overed.

Anything else is fine

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:02 PM

He is so stinkin cute. And yes, I think its important to let him express himself. As long as his ass isn't hanging out his jeans its all good. 

deadlights86
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

country or the thug look is a big no in my house. I think my kids will be nerds. They already like anime.

fliptopz4
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM

The only thing I would have a real problem with is if he wanted to wear the oversize sagging look at my underwear style. That has got to be the most ridiculas thing ever.

NikLvsNick
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

honestly, nope. I would be a hypocrite if i did. i dressed goth, still do to a point, with and without makeup.

DS loves camo and DD loves the punk princess look. I have no issue with that what so ever.

bellaamore
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Quoting babylove041810:

This. I don't believe in keeping kids from being who they are but that make up is just too ridiculous!!

Quoting bellaamore:

I wouldnt allow over the top makeup (like juggalo/lette), or pants that sag. I wouldnt allow thongsshowing... You know, parts all overed.

Anything else is fine

Lol, it really.

Dress however you want, but when your parts show or you dont look like my child, its over.

boldrumble
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM
I would not allow my son to wear skinny jeans, nor wear pants so low you could see his underwear. That's all i can think of.
GagaNTattooS
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:07 PM
There is no sagging of any pants on my house there is no extra huge tees that look like dresses.. Basically no thug dressing.. Hubby is an old punk rocker me well I had my thug days.... But now I go more retro or jersey
babylove041810
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. I could even handle a few piercings depending on age and maturity level. But no dressing like a stripper, or having the pants at the ankles, or crazy over the top make-up.

Quoting bellaamore:

Quoting babylove041810:

Quoting bellaamore:

Anything else is fine

Lol, it really.

Dress however you want, but when your parts show or you dont look like my child, its over.

GagaNTattooS
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM

My son is in the back
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)