Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is there a style that you would not allow your children to wear even if they really liked it?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not talking about something that is sexual in nature, but just general styles.

Another post made me go looking for an old pic of one of my kids and it made me think of this.  My family is not "country" at all.  We would never dress on a country/western style. We don't listen to country music. I listen to rap. The dirtier and more profane the better. My ex listened to heavy metal. We are like the opposite of country.  But, somewhere along the way, we all began to like Garth Brooks. This lead to my youngest being a huge Garth Brooks fan.

One Christmas, all he wanted was to be Garth Brooks. So, even though it is totally a style we are not comfortable with and would probably laugh at if one of us (the parents) attempted to wear clothes like this, we bought them for our son. We seriously made him the happiest little Garth Brooks wannabe that ever lived.  It was great. I was glad we stepped out of our comfort zone and went into a country type clothing store and made his dreams come true.  We made sure to get him every component.

If you are not country, would you let your kid dress like this if he/she really liked it?

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Replies (41-50):
unusualmom
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I dont allow my kids to wear tight clothes.  The saggier the better.

SaraLovesEli29
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Yes. I don't have a problem with it. I actually wouldn't be surprised if my kids end up dressing country because of how their dad dresses.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MichelleSw
by CoolStory on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I'm not so stuck on superficial. I wouldn't mind it.

Shermy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Not necessarily a style, but I am really uncomfortable with our son wearing skulls and cross bones and don't allow them on anything (toys/clothing/towles/shoes) 

dolphingurl1286
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM
This. I'm not real picky as long as they are covered. I would never allow my son to wear the real baggy pants and show his underwear.

Quoting Stephd710:

I wouldnt allow that goth white makeup, facial piercing bullshit. I also wouldnt allow them to dress in the juggalo/lette style either with the makeup and all that ridiculousness. Other than that, I wouldnt have a problem with their style.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM

No, he's presentable and looks adorable, I just wouldn't dress my kids like that where we live. It's not really a style that's common for where we live, and my kids would look very out of place dressed in cowboy boots and a cowboy hat.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

You don't find him presentable? 

Even though we do not dress like that, it isn't unseen in the Midwest. So, for us, he wouldn't really stand out. I am sure there are parts of the country that he would.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wouldn't let my kids go all country like that lol. Unless it was just for dress up. Another style would probably be goth or emo or whatever it's called now. I don't let them dress in all black, or wear their hair black and in their face. The only other rules I have is keep it covered up, no holes in clothes, nothing mismatched. They aren't allowed to wear pj's and slippers out in public. Things like that. I expect them to dress presentable.

NikiSellers0806
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Right now the only thing I have banned is character shoes. They are just so tacky and cheap looking **shudders**. As they get older as long as it fits properly, no boobs/butt hanging out and its not offensive then they can wear whatever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I could imagine in some areas that it would look like a freak show...lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, he's presentable and looks adorable, I just wouldn't dress my kids like that where we live. It's not really a style that's common for where we live, and my kids would look very out of place dressed in cowboy boots and a cowboy hat.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

-PB
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Naked.  You really have to wear clothes.  Other than that, not picky.

imvanilla
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:21 PM
I'm pretty laid back so pretty much anything goes. I can't stand skinny jeans, but last year my oldest loved them. He wants to be a skater and that's what they were all wearing.

He's out of the skinny jeans faze now and wears what he likes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)