Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Caucasians and ADHD? Is it really just lack of disipline? ***UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 378 Replies
4 moms liked this

I found this online and thought it was interesting. It seems White American children seem to dominate the ADHD cases in the US. These statistics are only available for the U.S. because many other countries don't consider this a legitimate disorder. The reason I found it interesting is because it is mostly white parents that are against "spanking" . The majority of Black and Hispanic families spank their children and also tend to have much stricter parenting styles. Not saying that all caucasian parents don't spank, but the only people I have ever heard say they don't spank their kids are all white. Do you think this is coincidental?

By Ethnic Background:

• White (non Hispanic): 4.1 million children have ADHD (8.7%)
  • Black or African American: 904,000 children have ADHD (9.8%)
  • Hispanic or Latino: 659,000 children have ADHD (5%)

******UPDATE*****

And for those who call me racist lol- I am half white and half hawaiian so no, I am not attempting to "attack white people"

Since many people seem to be losing focus of the point of this post I will clarify. Caucasians make up 63% of the U.S. (which also includes non-American born immigrants from European and some Mid-Eastern countries). However almost 80% of the ADD/ADHD cases are caucasian. . Also, a parent who is less strict with their child will obviously have a child that is lessmindful of the parent leading to behavioral issues or "acting out" which can lead a parent to assume that the child has a disorder, instead of accepting that the child is just a normal hyper child and in addition to hyper just simply does not take your discipine methods seriously. The reason I compared races was not to imply that caucasian parents are "lazy" but to discuss some of the theories as to why this seems to be more of a American/Caucasian issue (as caucasian children in ohter countries don't receive this diagnosis often or if at all) . It is also almost non-existent in the Asian community , however the typical Asian parenting style is different from the typical caucasian or Black parenting style. Why is that? It could be a variety of different things from disipline styles, home cooked meals vs. McDonalds, financially stable parents (who buy their children several electronics) vs parents who cant afford playstations, ipads, etc (and their children actually play outside). Unfortunately race does have an effect on these factors (statistically). Also with this seeming to be an American diagnosis, can it have anything to do with the huge amount of processed food, the small amount of physical activity our children get, the amount of time the average parent works etc. Some of you are making this into a"race war" when I am just simply pointing out some very real issues.

***And for those who continue to point out that most crimes are commited by minorities, this is why we are having this discussion. Because if you notice, when a minority commits a crime, he is simply a criminal. When a caucasian commits a heinous crime, there is a mental instability  theory to excuse his actions. So once again, why are so many caucasians claiming mental issues? (for those who want to argue, look back at almost every high profile murder case with a white defendant- Adam Lanza, Phil Spector, Andrea Yates, Theatre Shooter,the list goes on) Either way, this post is about ADHD and its legitimacy as a diagnosis and not about racism

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
My-mono-twins
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM
21 moms liked this

I believe a lot of it is lack of disipline!

beeky
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM
6 moms liked this

No. 

My dd has ADHD and she inherited it from me.   I live with the same issues that she does and at 49 years old, it most certainly is not lack of discipline.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM
39 moms liked this
According to your numbers, blacks are higher percentage wise.
angevil53
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Certainly in the cases that i have seen. I think of all i have met only one sticks out as being a possible actual problem.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aamy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM
3 moms liked this
Wtf? We spank, and make dd behave. Yes dd has ADHD. Yes she is on meds. She is not a zombie, lacks personality, is a robot. It's just enough to help he focus in school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FL2AK
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM
11 moms liked this
Do some further research. Minority children have ADD/ADHD and other learning disabilities too, however they are more likely to be diagnosed as borderline intellectual functioning or with behavioral issues and do not receive the proper services. Minority children are more likely to be placed in alternative schools for behavior instead of being placed in special education.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
macysmom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM
I agree!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angevil53
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM
It's a guarantee that if they are mixed they identify with the aa side.

Quoting Anonymous:

According to your numbers, blacks are higher percentage wise.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Sometimes it is lazy, poor parenting, other times it is not.  For less severe cases, I believe that more structure and discipline would help.  I also think the government needs to stop paying parents of ADD and ADHD kids though.  They DO get tax payer money.  I have seen many applications for it and many are approved.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM
2 moms liked this

what i think is weird-- is that even though whites dont discipline, there's more black males in the prison system!

anyways! yea- i think its lack of discipline. my son is white and was.. well, a little terror. after my BF (who's black) came into the picture and started taking on the parental role, DS did a complete 180. from not listening, not caring to saying yes ma'am/sir, not having to be asked to do simple things (cleaning the toys, taking care of the dishes, etc). not sure honestly how that happened since BF never spanked him- but i think he just demanded respect and he got it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)