Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

These foodstamps just aren't cutting it!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

We are a family of six and are receiving $672 a month in foodstamps. While that may seem like a lot to some of you, food is more expensive now and I can't get the foodstamps to last the whole month. I need some tips please!

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Replies (31-40):
jbirchard
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Try working for your food, makes you appreciate the food in your kitchen that much more.
Im not against pa at all. Im not bashing. I was on fs for a while. Now I can barely afford to feed my family. I have had to really stretch my money to have nutritious meals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ikesmommy200
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:35 PM
I'm in mo and we get by on $50-$75 a week for 4 people. Do you have a sav a lot, aldis, or food for less? This is actually a really cheap area to live.

You absolutely have to meal plan. Stop buying snacks, sodas,processed, frozen, premade, etc. Try more bean and egg based dishes. Go grocery shopping once a week or less.

Quoting Anonymous:

Missouri and no.

Quoting tisaynababae:

Where are you located? Are you buying formula with that?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pampire
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

There are a lot of books and websites dedicated to frugal shopping.  right now I'm reading a book called "Cut your grocery bill in half" by Steve Economides.  It's great!

Shop sales, coupon, shop several stores to get the stuff that's on "loss-leader" at each one.  Don't be afraid to buy the discounted/manager special stuff. 

Check out some of the frugal/budget moms groups here.

In spring/summer grow your own veggies - FS can be used for seeds and seedlings.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm sorry you don't get enough free food. Get a job and pay for own food
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this
That's ignorant she asked for advice not ignorance.......

Quoting angelachristine:

UpstateAnnette
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Food is expensive.  We eat rice and beans once a week. Potato bean soup is good too and cheap.  I just boil some potatoes with  a little left over chicken and the leftover stock, add a can of beans, a few carrots and add in whatever left over veggies you have in the fridge.  It makes an affordable and yummy dinner.  If you buy 1 whole chicken you  can have roasted chicken on night one,  Chicken in a rice or pasta dish on the second night and the potato bean soup on the third night.  We have breakfast for dinner-scrambled eggs n toast or pancakes.  

Tonight we are having scalloped potatoes n ham for dinner made with the leftover ham from Christmas. 

We water down our juice by half.   I have a friend who buys a gallon of whole milk, pours half into a clean empty milk container and adds water to strech her milk.  We all drink water a lot too.  We do NOT buy soda at all.  My husband does get 1 bag of cheap corn chips a week but we don't buy a lot of junk food. 

Annette(40)Dan(hubby) Rosalynd(7/06)Jeremy(3/08) Isaac(3/10)

TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM

plan better.  we spend 500 per month on a family of 5 plus 6 cats and a rabbit and that includes gas for the whole month.  we plan our menu twice a month and check all the local ads for specials.  we don't use coupons either. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM
2 moms liked this
We know how expensive food is....we buy it...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prdmama1154
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Fill out an application. If you already work, get a second job. That's what I had to do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bellaamore
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:38 PM

We make one meal to last two to three nights.

Go meatless one night a week- like, bean tostadas or something else kid friendly.

Cook from scratch.

I have no clue how you cant make that work. Plan out your meals, list the needed ingredients, and stick to it. Give each person so mich a week for snacks and special drinks, etc.when it is gone, it is gone and you go without the rest of the week... Or bake a cake, cookies, pie, cobbler, etc once or twice a week.

Make one breakfast, one lunch, one dinner. People either eat or they dont. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN