Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

These foodstamps just aren't cutting it!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

We are a family of six and are receiving $672 a month in foodstamps. While that may seem like a lot to some of you, food is more expensive now and I can't get the foodstamps to last the whole month. I need some tips please!

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Replies (51-60):
VannaMae307
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:41 PM
3 moms liked this

I hate to be Captain Obvious here but it's time to start sticking to it....it's pretty important that you do.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've tried but can never seem to stick to it.

Quoting i_lovedyoufirst:

Do you meal plan?
My friend who has a family of 8 gets 1,000. & she still manages to have enough to buy food to cook & make for people who can't afford it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
We are a family of 7 and get 952 a month. Dh works fulltime too. We struggle every month we always have leftover foodstamps every month. Usually 2 to 3 hundred leftover! How can you not make it?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
It's so hard not to scoff at people with food stamps ugh. Losers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:43 PM
So find some motivation and do it.

There is no magical answer. You are going to have to change your habits to change your outcome.

Food stamps are cutting it, you are not.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've tried but can never seem to stick to it.

Quoting i_lovedyoufirst:

Do you meal plan?

My friend who has a family of 8 gets 1,000. & she still manages to have enough to buy food to cook & make for people who can't afford it.

momofmany86
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

We're a family of 7 and we spend around $550 a month. Eat cheaply. It's more difficult with the diet that we're on - no gluten, so we can't buy regular wheat pastas and breads. Make as much as you can from scratch. Bake your snacks/breads if you can. And I'm in Kansas - near Missouri, so I don't think our prices are too much different. We actually shop in Missouri at farmer's markets. Are you in the KC area? I know of a farmer's market that doubles food stamps if you're in that area.

mommie2twogirls
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

feeding 6 kids and 3 adults we were spending 700 a month, and sometimes having some of that 700 left over at the end of the month.... i would have to go with you are doing it wrong.....

luvhubandbabys
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:44 PM
Use coupons..buy generic. U live in missouri got an aldi near by. Meal plan. Use less meat in meals. Google meatless meals. We r a family of 5 in missouri we spend about 450.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't be a greedy idiot?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM
U people r really fuckin ignorant have u ever heard of hard times sum ppl go through things n need a little help who the hell do u think u r judging her I myself am receiving fs due to a rough patch in my life God forbid u hit a rough patch n need sum extra help lets c how much u run ya mouth then......smh

Quoting HouseOfLove:

You suck. The program is called SNAP, which means SUPPLEMENTAL nutrition plan. It is not designed to pay for all of your food. You are lucky you even get a dime. It is not the govt's responsibility to pay for your family. How you are unable to buy a months worth of groceries with almost $700 of "free" money is beyond me.

Cut coupons, buy generic, don't have anymore children.

LiDoMama
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM
We are a family of 5, no food stamps, and buying diapers (occasionally, as we are transitioning to cloth) and food for less than $500 per month. First, Meal Plan! Go to the dollar store and buy a calendar, use it just to meal plan. This will not only save you $, but alleviate mealtime stress as well. Buy generic, shop sales, coupon (if you can...someone in my state says she gets charged for using coupons with her SNAP...not sure if that's true), eat meals with less meat. Lentils are full of protein and are cheap. You can also stretch the ground meat you buy by mixing beans or lentils in the meat. Also, try mixing ground pork with the ground beef when making meatballs....ground pork goes on sale a lot, or at least by me it does. You can also subsitute ground chicken for some ground beef meals. Another great protein to use is tuna. Tuna is CHEAP! We eat tuna boats and tuna noodle casserole a lot. One last thing, stop buying steak. I eat steak once a year at most. Its too expensive to feed a bigger family steak.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN