Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

These foodstamps just aren't cutting it!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

We are a family of six and are receiving $672 a month in foodstamps. While that may seem like a lot to some of you, food is more expensive now and I can't get the foodstamps to last the whole month. I need some tips please!

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Replies (71-80):
rebeccarae
by Bec on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Always buy off brand, sales, the BOGO, etc.

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Well you need to STICK to that meal plan!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:51 PM
2 moms liked this

get on birth control, get a job, stop making excuses and being a leech!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I have 3 boys one girl and hubby. I get $700.  Here's what I do. When I first get my stamps I spend at least $100 on rice,pasta, bread, condiments,milk. Buy the big bags of rice. These things are used more often. Then I go to the store with the best meat prices and spend $200. meat markets are good because they sale package deals. Spend $50 in veggies. Don't buy anything else with the left over stamps. Cook and eat until you run out of things. Then buy replacements. Don't give in to cute stuff like pop tarts and packaged snacks. Buy at least 2 10lb bags of sugar and flour and make stuff. Buy popcorn its a great snack and cheap and lasts long. Meal plans keep you going back and forth to the store. Invest in a big pot if you don't already have one. Don't allow leftovers to sit in the fridge, freeze it and cook something else. Later in the month the frozen left overs come in oh so handy

NightShade19
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:51 PM
2 moms liked this
Get a job and buy your own food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM
We are a family of 5. I also have to buy formula because WIC will not cover emfamil in my current state. I budget 150 a week. Avg about 550 per month. Most times i dont go over 500. I buy my meat from a butcher in bulk. Pre-ordering it saves even more, the ones here will also give a 5% discount when ordering and paying at least 28 wks in advance. I also shop at the farmers market. Local in season fruits and veggies are cheaper there than retail stores. I would like to get into couponing to save more. Before my baby. I only spent $300 on our family. When we did need fs i always use what was left and bought tasty food for the food bank. It was my way of saying thank you.
hemlockprimrose
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I am also in Missouri.. and my BF and I get $319.. ( I ONLY HAD TO APPLY BECAUSE I GOT HURT AT WORK ALMOST 4 MONTHS AGO ) AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY INCOME.. I AM WAITING ON WORKMANS COMP.. SO YES I HAVE A JOB.. I can not work right now until I have knee surgery.. Meal plan... don't buy name brand... most coupons you have to buy name brand.. you can buy cheaper non name brand cheaper even with out coupons... buy family packs of meats.. make things that go far.. like soups.. spaghetti... cassroles... WIth that much I think you can make them last... at least most of the month 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Spaghetti, spaghetti, spaghetti!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:54 PM
Im perfectly aware of what I wrote n yes u r very ignorant things happen ppl go through stuff n need a little help its not fair how u ppl judge n tlk down to ppl that need help I only have 1 child n I do gd with my fs n sometimes I have to spend my own money which is fine as long as my child eats but who r u to judge???

Quoting HouseOfLove:

I'm the ignorant one? Did you SEE what you just wrote?! WTF?!

You are both receiving money that you did not earn. It is called SNAP, which stands for SUPPLEMENTAL nutrition assistance program. Which means it supplies SOME of the money needed for food, which means that you are responsible for providing for your family as well. OP is receiving almost $700 a month. How the fuck are you unable to provide for your family with almost $700 a month??! OP is ovbiously irresponsible.

Quoting Anonymous:

U people r really fuckin ignorant have u ever heard of hard times sum ppl go through things n need a little help who the hell do u think u r judging her I myself am receiving fs due to a rough patch in my life God forbid u hit a rough patch n need sum extra help lets c how much u run ya mouth then......smh

Quoting HouseOfLove:

You suck. The program is called SNAP, which means SUPPLEMENTAL nutrition plan. It is not designed to pay for all of your food. You are lucky you even get a dime. It is not the govt's responsibility to pay for your family. How you are unable to buy a months worth of groceries with almost $700 of "free" money is beyond me.

Cut coupons, buy generic, don't have anymore children.

aniters
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:54 PM
we are a family of 3 and only spend 180 on food for a month. meal planning is easy. you should try it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)