Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Near Tears (potty training help!) ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 89 Replies

I'm just so frustrated and I have no clue how to make this work. She just turned two the beginning of Nov. and we've been trying to get her trained off and on since 18 months. We didn't want to pressure her too much, but now I'm just at my wits end!

We bought her the potty, she doesn't want to use it. We bought her the seat; she likes to wear it as a hat but refuses to sit on that as well. She refuses to keep her diaper on. Two seconds after putting it on, she's taking it right back off. Even if she's dressed, she'll strip down and take it off. I'm so sick and tired of her peeing everywhere but the potty!

When I do get her to sit on the potty, she has to have her blankie with her. That's fine, but she's still refusing to actually pee in the potty! I keep placing her on it, and if I dare forget her blankie, she freaks out. And of course, after she gets off the potty, that's when she pees.

We just bought her training pants, a pair of six to start with. We're hoping that they'll help with the potty training. This is her first day wearing them. She loves to wear them, but she's still refusing to use her potty. In fact, I'm faced with a new issue; she gets royally mad when I pull them down and have her sit.

She doesn't like the feel of them wet, which we were hoping for. She comes running to me to show me they're wet, but then she runs off and hides from me like it's a game when I try to get her into the bathroom so I can clean her up.

I'm just at my wits end. I don't know how to do this! I'm trying so hard not to get upset with her, but she's making it so hard. I've tried googling potty training tips, but nothing seems to work. Any advice or encouragement would be great right about now.

Note: I just had her sister on Nov. 22nd, so I'm still a bit hormonal, which doesn't help.

Edit: Thank you to everyone who responded. Just to clarify, we just started up the potty training again. Last time we tried was at 22 months.

I tried to put her on the potty, and it'd work only as long as she had her blanket. She's highly attached to it, more so now that her sister is here. As long as she had that, she'd sit on her potty for several minutes and chat or sing with me. If I forgot to make sure she had it, she'd throw a fit and getting her to sit is impossible. When that happened, I'd just let her go. I don't try to force it.

Today, her panties/training pants showed up. To the few that suggested pull ups, she knows how to take those off, too. It just isn't worth the money.

We did try the diaper on backwards today an hour before nap time, and it was hilarious watching her walk around with it on like that. She did not like it and kept crouching down and walking like she just rode a horse all day long lol. She eventually figured out how to take that off, too. It was nice while it lasted though!

She can dress and undress quite easily, and she much prefers to run around naked. I do let her run naked most of the time since it's a struggle to get the diaper back on her. She will fight that and as I stated before, it's off withen two minutes of it being on. 

When I wrote this post, I was very frustrated. I calmed down right after writing this (I mostly just needed to vent) and between taking care of the kids and cleaning I've been reading the responses. I'm just getting tired of cleaning up the pee all day long. 

She does go with me when I'm in the bathroom. I let her know that I'm going in there and most times she goes running after me. Sometimes she'll stand right there watching me the whole time and will even flush the toilet on me several times (not fun for me lol). Sometimes she'll sit on her potty (with or without diaper),  and other times she'll bring her toys in. When I'm done, she wants to be the one to flush, then she'll wash her hands when I'm washing mine.

We will keep at this for another day or two with her panties/training pants and if she still doesn't catch on, we'll back off and try again in a few weeks.

And just to clarify, I'm not trying to force her to grow up. To us, potty training doesn't equal loss of childhood, just loss of diapers.

Again, thank you all for the various advice.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:58 PM
9 moms liked this

She is not ready.  You had another baby, but that does not mean she needs to become a big girl right NOW.

Most kids train around age three.  Some sooner, some much sooner, and some later.  Put her in a diaper again and carry on with life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM
She is to young wait another six months
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Yeah, that sounds about right!

lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Hugs!  How long is she dry for? Is she dry at night?  If she is dry more than 2 hours at a time then you can continue and if she is dry most nights -if not-then take a break and try in a couple of months

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

My advice, STOP.

She is only 2, most kids don't train until they are closer to 3. We don't force potty training in our house, we did everything you did, we bought them the chairs and underwear, talked to them about what it was for and then stood back and let them make the decision on their own. My DS was 2 1/2 and my DD was 3 1/2. No tears, no tension.

Matriarch87
1 mom liked this
My best most simplest advice. Lose the diapers and lose the training pants. Put her in undies or let her run naked for a while. Monitor her fluids and take her potty no later than an hour after she drinks anything. If she messes on the floor have her help you clean it up and reinforce the reasons we use the potty instead of peering on ourselves and the floor. She will be trained in a week tops.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy690
Shes not ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
z0mbiepenguin
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM
She's not going to cooperate with a new born in the house.
emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:02 PM

she's not ready. quit forcing her to grow up, it will only cause problems. my aunt did this to her kids and they are 8, 6, and 3 and every single one of them still have accidents.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:03 PM
I don't believe for a second most kids are almost three when they potty train. If a parent is diligent and patient it can be done with no tears and no tension waaaaay earlier. My son was potty trained by 16 months. He is no genius either and it was not stressful in the least.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

My advice, STOP.

She is only 2, most kids don't train until they are closer to 3. We don't force potty training in our house, we did everything you did, we bought them the chairs and underwear, talked to them about what it was for and then stood back and let them make the decision on their own. My DS was 2 1/2 and my DD was 3 1/2. No tears, no tension.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)