Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

punishment for giving info out online? (eta)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies

overlook the fact that DS is young- 7 years old..

i went to the game room to clean up and on a piece of paper, he has 7 numbers on it. i call him down and ask what it is. he says its his friend's number, a friend from xbox live.

i asked if he gave out his number, and he said yes.

we had another long talk about what information we dont give out, what information is acceptable (first name only, state only- even age but nothing else)... we talked about people acting like somebody else, somebody younger when they could be really bad guys.... and what is appropriate if he wants to form an actual 'friendship' with those people (me talking to the kid, me talking with the parents, etc-- its happened before).

he's grounded from the xbox and the computer. additional chores and he'll have to write up why we dont give out our information.... but he asked if he can still play on his gameboy, since he cant get online through that.... we use it on car rides mainly- which we are about to do in a few minutes... not sure if i should banish ALL games, or just the ones where he can get online

ETA: this is for the most part his first offense. i think he got the kid's number, when i went to the bathroom, which is a floor above the game room... other than that, he's not left unsupervised. i'm always in the game room with him, either reading or practicing. i used to play along side with him, but have since fallen off the gaming scene. we talk about whats appropriate for online, like its a normal conversation. every year, at the beginning of his school (including kindergarten), the school would send out an internet access acknowledgement form- me and DS would talk about whats appropriate, whats not, etc then sign the paper. DS has formed one friendship, where he and the other child talks on the phone, as well as play together still... their friendship started through the xbox and progressed with BOTH mine and the other kids' parents permission. when that happened, DS knew the protocol to follow; i talk with the kid, talk with the parents, etc. 

alrighty though! the car is packed and we gotta hit the roads. ugh. anybody else hate long car drives? i should be back in about 2 hrs (its about 4:30 when i'm doing this update) to see if there's any new replies and to reply back

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baquick
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmmm. I would say all for now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pampire
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I'd do just online ones.

Buggy979
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I say a 7 yr old should not be online playing xbox in the first place.. as for punishment I say that should be taken away all together and play xbox without the internet all together..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:07 PM

yea, thats what i was thinking... i mean, i didnt ground him from EVERYTHING; he can still play with his toys and stuff... the grounding is mainly until he understands the importance of online safety (which i will admit- its also my responsibility.. not sure when he got this kid's number, i'm usually always in the room reading or practicing or something, when he goes on the xbox).

Quoting baquick:

robyann
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I'd say just the ones that he can get online with.

Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't let a 7 year old access the internet without me bieng right there and watching.

Let him have the gameboy.  CHalk the rest up to being too young for the level of freedom you gave him, and move on.  I wouldn't punish him, per se, I'd just take it as a reminder that he's still a really little kid and needs supervision.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM
2 moms liked this

wow unsupervised internet access. ya....

mtpmichmami
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:10 PM
This.
baquick
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM
The main reason I say everything is bc you have already discussed and lectured him on that. If this was a first offense, I would say just online. But since this is a second offense, and knows the rules (having followers them before) this is IMO reason for a "bigger" punishment.

Quoting Anonymous:

yea, thats what i was thinking... i mean, i didnt ground him from EVERYTHING; he can still play with his toys and stuff... the grounding is mainly until he understands the importance of online safety (which i will admit- its also my responsibility.. not sure when he got this kid's number, i'm usually always in the room reading or practicing or something, when he goes on the xbox).

Quoting baquick:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM
What were you quoting? Lol

Quoting mtpmichmami:

This.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN