Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Potty Training

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM
  • 11 Replies

My daughter will be 2 in april. We got her a potty seat that goes on the toilet. She loves to sit on it but won't pee on it yet. She will clap and say "YAY" when she is on the potty but won't actually use it. She has no issues peeing and pooping anywhere else, like the tub etc.. She doesn't pull her diaper off yet but she acts like her diaper is bothering her and she sticks her hands down her diapers when they are wet or dirty. Any advice on attempting to potty train her? I also have a 3 month son so things are kinda hectic. We live with my DH's aunt, due to her having financial issues and she is REALLY pushy when it comes to potty training her. She tries to tell me what to do with MY daughter and it doesn't help the situation any.

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM
I think she's probably still too young... Before two, really you are just training yourself to get her to the potty. They can't truly train till they are physically capable of holding the urge. That doesn't typically happen till after age two.
uriahadel
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM
She is your child and you need to tell your aunt to butt out... what worked with my dd, I put her on the toilet until she pottied. It takes a lot of time and patience but you can play with her while she is on the potty, sing and do the hand motions with her. Once you know her potty schedule then it is pretty easy from there. You just put her on before she has to go. I also used a box filled with little toys, candy and other things, and when she used the potty she could pick out a surprise from the box. The more she uses it, the more stars she would have to earn in order to get a prize but it keeps her interested. My baby is 2 and she is potty trained. It didn't take her long to potty train using this method...

And good luck :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Having her start to sit is fine. She may still be too young to get it though. My DS turned 2 in May and just recently started doing a morning pee in the potty. He's been waking up dry so right to the potty we go.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Just keep letting her do what she is doing, when she is ready she will potty train herself.

BamaMommy2
by Angel.N.Disguise on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:55 PM

We used a sticker chart with my daughter. She loved it and it helped speed up the potty training process.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Dont do it if she is not inrerested in it yer. She is poretty young so I would wait. I don't think having another child is a reason to make her do it. you have two kids your life will always be hetic haha

Pnukey
by Jenn on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I would get a tiny potty that sits on the floor in the bathroom and have her get used to that before trying the big potty. Also, 2 is generally too young. I waited until DS turned 3 before even starting and it was a breeze.

As for the Aunt, if she wants to potty train your DD, she can go for it! She'll give up. Does she (aunt) have kids?

Heatherp23
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Dont do it if she is not inrerested in it yer. She is poretty young so I would wait. I don't think having another child is a reason to make her do it. you have two kids your life will always be hetic haha

Having my son has nothing to do with me wanting to get her potty trained. I was just saying that it's a little hectic to try to tend to both while i am trying to get her used to sitting on the potty. I'm not "making" her do it, she loves to sit on the potty. I also take her in the bathroom with me when i go and we clap when i go and she says "yay momma"

Heatherp23
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Quoting Pnukey:

I would get a tiny potty that sits on the floor in the bathroom and have her get used to that before trying the big potty. Also, 2 is generally too young. I waited until DS turned 3 before even starting and it was a breeze.

As for the Aunt, if she wants to potty train your DD, she can go for it! She'll give up. Does she (aunt) have kids?

we started out with a seat that was on the floor but she screamed when i put her on it. Once we got the seat that goes on the potty she gets really excited

Yes she has one daughter but she is like 30 now lol she does have a granddaughter that is 3.

Mommyfish831
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I'd say she just not ready to be out of diapers.  It's ok to keep trying.  But it seems to me that she just isn't quite ready to be using the potty regularly.  I suggest sit on the potty in the morning after getting up but maybe leave it at that for a while unless she asks to try the potty.  She is no even 2 yet so I wouldn't really push potty training.  I did that with my oldest daughter and it was so stressful, I got her potty trained by 2 but she would relapse and we'd have to go though the "training" again for a day or 2.  With my son I just didn't push.  We tried and it didn't work 3 times between 2 and 3.  Then around his 3rd birthday he said he wanted to go potty so I had him go by himself since he knew what he needed to do since we tried a couple times before, and that was it he just went to the potty every time and he has never had a relapse or an accident.  It was much less stressful then with my oldest.  So do no rush it, it will only be stressful for both of you.  T hope that helps.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)