Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My sister just got diagnosed with Chrones Disease...any mama's in here that have it?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
From what I'm reading it doesn't seem to be life threatening, but if anyone feels comfortable enough to share their experience with it, I'd be thankful.

Thank you.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:34 PM

It's all about a good diet and avoiding what she can't eat, or what doesn't work for her body. It's a pain in the neck to deal with but once she finds the foods that "set her off" she can avoid them and will be able to manage just fine.

also- I do NOT have chrohns myself. A very good friend of mine has it and I have been her shoulder since she was diagnosed so that's about as far as my experience goes. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM
Thank you for your reply. My sister was almost admitted the other night for an inflamed large intestine, and so all the blood work they pulled came back and bam, Chrohns. So I'm trying to learn about it so I know how to help support her and not inflame it.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's all about a good diet and avoiding what she can't eat, or what doesn't work for her body. It's a pain in the neck to deal with but once she finds the foods that "set her off" she can avoid them and will be able to manage just fine.

also- I do NOT have chrohns myself. A very good friend of mine has it and I have been her shoulder since she was diagnosed so that's about as far as my experience goes. 

auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM

My  mom was disgnosed in 1994 or so.  She had to have part of one of her intestines removed. (dont remember which one) and when she has a flare up she has to take meds...and have routine colonoscopies. But other than that...she leads a healthy life.  She doesnt let it slow her down.

I know it affects different people in different ways.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I'm not gonna lie, Crohn's is pretty painful. At least it is for me. I have a hard time with food because I will eat a food and it won't bother me, but I can eat it again a week later and have a flare up. She just needs to make sure she is really paying attention to what she eats. Keeping a food journal helps. Good luck to her!

Tal0n
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:42 PM

. . .

Actually, yes it is life threatening, depending on the severity of the disease and what's needed to treat it.

I have severe UC with Crohns complications.

It sucks.

tyner_brylee
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:44 PM
I have crohns disease. And so far i cannot have eggs or cranberry sauce.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:45 PM

my son has it, he developed it shortly before his 6th bday. 

amanda_n_e
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:46 PM
I have it. I was diagnosed two years ago. I have learned what foods work and don't work for me. Its hard and gets very painful, but I am very healthy. I'm very active since my diagnosis, and that seems to help.
I have colonoscopies and upper gi tests regularly. I know that different foods affect everyone with chrones differently, but cutting out all gluten was the best choice I've made so far! I have not had a flare up since i cut it out of my diet.
Tal0n
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Wrong, wrong WRONG.

It's OBVIOUS you don't have Crohns by what you wrote!!!  Some mild cases can be helped by diet, but managed?  No.  Being set off by diet?  Wrong again.

Bullshit.  If diet alone were able to manage Crohns, then believe me, most of us wouldn't be taking life altering/dangerous medications trying to stop from bleeding out from the inside!!!

I'm very glad your friend is able to so easily manage her condition, but to try and tell someone that it's all about what you eat is just plain irresponsible and IGNORANT.  Not all UC or Crohns cases are created equal.  When you've lost 70lbs in 3 months and hardly eat anything but gatorade and ensure, then get back to me with your INCREDIBLE dietary breakthrough for Crohns disease.  I know plenty of shocked people who would just LOVE your friend's "secret."

Quoting Anonymous:

t1gger143
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM
It nearly killed my friend twice. Misdiagnosed the first time as the flu. He now just watches what he eats. Sweets bother him the most. When he has a flare up he takes Vicodin and tells me it only dulls the pain.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)