Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Did I handle this correctly?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:04 PM
  • 91 Replies
My 16 ss called wanting to spend the night with a friend, an 18 year old girl. Apparently, her boyfriend cheated on her and she was threatening suicide. I told him no and that she couldn't stay here either. I asked to speak to the parents and he said they weren't home, that they are never home. He went on to explain that she is a known cutter and she might hurt herself. I told him to just come home. Then I called the police and gave them the info. SS just got home and is pissed because the cops took her to the hospital, admitted her in the psch ward for observation. He says I ruined her life and he is mad because she doesn't want to be his friend anymore. I thought I was doing the right thing but now I feel like crap. What would you have done?
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
squeekers
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:06 PM
11 moms liked this

acting like a parent, remember teenagers blow emotions out of proportion. you did the right thing. I, too, would handle it the same way.

I'm a Humanist.
Question everything, except your Mother.
SAHM of one teen DD. Married since 1989.
Awarenesses I follow: Epilepsy, Depression, Down Syndrome.
jedwards2009
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:07 PM
You did.the right thing. Her life is not ruined. She needs help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:07 PM
14 moms liked this

i probably would have let the girl come to my house, assessed the situation & tried to call her parents.  if i couldn't reach them & i thought she really was suicidal, i would have taken her to the hospital.

Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Quoting squeekers:

acting like a parent, remember teenagers blow emotions out of proportion. you did the right thing. I, too, would handle it the same way.

Thanks that makes feel a little better.
jakesmom323
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:08 PM
You did the right thing. I would do the same.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mtfarms
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM

This is what I was thinking too...

Quoting almondpigeon:

i probably would have let the girl come to my house, assessed the situation & tried to call her parents.  if i couldn't reach them & i thought she really was suicidal, i would have taken her to the hospital.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Good job mama. You probably saved her life, and probably saved your ds from a psychologically damaging situation.
Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Quoting almondpigeon:

I am not comfortable with a suicidal person in my home. If something were to happen while she was here, what would I do?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM
:::hugs::: you did the right thing. He may not see it now, but he will.
SparklePants
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM

You did the right thing, this is not your or your sons business, by letting him stay there, or her stay with you would have made it your business, god forbid she would have done something while with your step son, that would have stayed with him a long time.

She needs help, and maybe just needs attention (you mentioned her parents not being around) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)