Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You should be reverant in church!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies
Ok, I get that very small children need a distraction because it is practically impossible to get them to sit still and quiet. I also understand that two young little boys who are unrelated and end up sitting together will get rambunctious. However, there are things you can do to help small children keep quiet during church. There are toys they can bring that encourage them to play quietly. A coloring book and crayons are great; action figures are not great.

I just found it very distracting when the little boys in the pew in front of us were getting loud and rambunctious (mom had to keep telling them to be quiet and stay in the pew). But then, what kind of example do you set about being reverant when you're browsing Facebook on your phone?

I am not trying to come off as holier-than-thou, though I know it sounds that way. I really do understand that it can be difficult to keep kids calm for an hour or more. Heaven knows that more than once I have had to take my kid(s) out because they couldn't behave. I just feel that some parents should put more effort into teaching their children appropriate behavior in church.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Our kids go to children's church.  They have classes for various age ranges and are taught in an age appropriate way.  

And I can't stand it when people text or play on their phone at church.  It's so distracting.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

JLS2388
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:22 PM
2 moms liked this

This is why I would not go to a church that didn't have Sunday school or children's church for the kids. Yes, I could probably get my 6 year old to sit quietly but she wouldn't be getting anything out of the message. Children need to go to church for spiritual guidance, not to sit and be quite

JTROX
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:23 PM

We have 4 weekend services at our church.  Some are attended by families of small children more than others, so I usually don't go to 10 am service, because that is the noisiest.

Kids will be kids, but there are different ways to help a child understand the proper behavior.

My youngest son used to be a "holy terror" in church, but now he is 8 and is an altar server.  

ff-princess
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:23 PM

reverent

HousewifeNina
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:25 PM
I couldnt agree more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I agree with you, I still can't get used to seeing people wear jeans and t-shirts to church :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Quoting ff-princess:

reverent

Thank you. I wasn't sure if I had it right and for some reason the spell check button didn't come up.
mommaponch
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Every time I take my small ones to church I try to bring quiet distractions for them. Toddler Bible books, raisins to snack, crayons, etc. Also I always feel like my kids were horribly behaved and it never fails that someone seated nearby tells me how well behaved they were, so either other kids are monsters or my expectations are too high. What I really find odd is the adult you said was browsing the Internet ... why even go?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Quoting JLS2388:

This is why I would not go to a church that didn't have Sunday school or children's church for the kids. Yes, I could probably get my 6 year old to sit quietly but she wouldn't be getting anything out of the message. Children need to go to church for spiritual guidance, not to sit and be quite

I am LDS. The first hour and 20 minutes is Sacrament. We pass the bread and water and then members give a talk on a subject they are given. After that we go into sunday school. After that we split up into the Relief Society and Priesthood. For the last hour and 40 minutes, the kids have their own class.
In all actuality, I like that they don't insist on breaking up families. I was raised Baptist. Even when I had an electronic baby (Baby Think It Over for parenting & child development class), they tried to make me take it to the nursery.
CampClan
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I totally agree. I have 5 kids myself (ages 16, 13, 11, 9, & 3). There is childrens' worship during 2nd hour (after Sunday School) which "dismisses" the kids to attend right after offering (before the sermon). Since my 3yo is the only preschooler I have 3 options- 1) take him to the nursery where there is no one else (he isn't the youngest child in the church but the youngest one doesn't come on a regular basis). 2) take him to childrens' worship where 2 of his older siblings (which means I have to stay too which isn't fair to me) OR 3) make him sit in the service with me. Because I feel I need to be responsible for my child, since there is no preschool worship for me to take him to, I normally make him sit with me in the service. I bring paper with us & let him use the pencils in the pew to color. He also likes to sing the hymns with me so he points to the words on the page. LOL I am trying to get him to understand he needs to bow his head when we pray- but he IS just 3 so he is learning. And my church THRIVES on little ones! After all- eventually the little ones will be the elders of the church some day! I have yet to have someone complain about my kids being unruly. Infact, usually I get one of the older women in the church encouraging my DS to be ornery! LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)